Author Topic: system hanging  (Read 10789 times)

beck

Re:system hanging
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2003, 02:11:15 AM »
Sure. I run folding@home, so the CPU is always busy. Set to 90% of idle cycles. I've been running it for over a year on this system without problems.

When it goes into the hang, I can't bring up task manager or any other program even if it's minimized, nor can I start a program.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 02:13:11 AM by beck »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2003, 12:06:01 PM »
Ehm, am I reading the screenshot correctly that you were (/are?) having a steady 90% CPU usage? Yikes!

Any idea which process is taking up the cycles? Even the Task Manager could tell you this thing... Starting the performance monitor is generally a good idea but you have to know what you're looking for. If you're shooting to the dark, the standard Task Manager can usually supply you with more data, in a more readable form...

Thanks,
Vlk

Vlk, I know this not concern to avast, but anybody can explain to me - and anybody else who does not understand anything about this - what are the meaning of the Task Manager monitor itens: peaks, bytes I/O, virtual memory, and so on... there are a lot of columns and we donĀ“t know what do we have to monitor... Thanks if you can do anything.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 08:01:06 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2003, 12:10:24 PM »
When it goes into the hang, I can't bring up task manager or any other program even if it's minimized, nor can I start a program.

This is a common problem of all our system... Not Windows events nor Performance monitor can be easily configurated to 'save' and 'show' the correct information...
Pooltag is an application that does not have a friendly appearance...
Does anybody know, I mean, really know and application or Window setting to correct this? I'm tired of graphics and tables full of numbers and not an understandable thing for current Windows users  >:(
The best things in life are free.