Author Topic: No connection with Web Shield activated  (Read 7211 times)

spaceman_t

No connection with Web Shield activated
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:17:55 PM »
Hi!

I do have a problem with the "on access-scanner"  optiions enabled.

1. When I activate the Web Shield provider, I cannot access any website. Im using WinXP SP2 Pro with firewall enabled. But it doesn't matter if the FW is enabled or disabled, the symptoms are the same. When I disable the Web Shiield, everthing works fine.

2.  With activatet mail scan I cannot send any emails but getting smtp connection errors. I get the password entry form again even if I typed the correct password. With the provider disabled, everythin works fine.

I use mozilla suite and even tried to configure the proxi to localhost and port 12080 manually, but no changes. IExplorer doesn't connect to any website as well.

How can I use the protections of the resident scanner?

CharleyO

Re: No connection with Web Shield activated
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 10:38:18 PM »

Since you say the symptoms are the same with or without the firewall, let us try a repair of Avast first. You must be on-line for this to work.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > select Avast anti-virus > click Change or Remove > scroll down and select Repair > OK and follow instructions.

After it is finished, restart your computer. I hope this helps.    :)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:52:55 PM by CharleyO »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 10:47:15 PM »
ashMaiSv.exe mail scanner and ashWebSv.exe web shield both need internet access.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 11:04:22 PM »

As David mentions, both the email scanner and web shield need access to the internet to work. So, after you restart your computer and enable the firewall, be sure to give ashmaisv.exe and ashwebsv.exe permittion to pass the firewall.

BTW, what firewall are you using?

I hope this helps you.    :)

spaceman_t

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:02:06 AM »
Hi!

I'm using the XP integrated firewall. Therefore my question how to grant these 2 services internet access. I just chose the except option for a program (avast in this case) in the XP firewall options but nothing chenged. I didn't find any other option to enable internet access for a service. maybe you can help me with this.

Edit: I tried the repair function (it actually did only check the VPS file) but after reboot nothing had changed.
Still no connection within browser when web shield activated, XP-Firewall on or off.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 08:15:44 AM by spaceman_t »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 02:43:51 PM »
Start, Control Panel, windows firewall (exclusions) would be a good place to start.

However, the windows firewall is better than no firewall as it doesn't provide full outbound protection, so I advise a third party firewall.

I feel that there may be something else going on besides this, did you have an AV installed before (or still have), if so what and how did you remove it ?

You may be better trying a clean re install of avast, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spaceman_t

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:09:05 PM »
Hi!

I did have an Av installed prior to avast (AntiVir btw.) removed it via uninstall option and cleaned the registry afterwards.
So it should be clean.
The standard resident scanner does function normal and does not effect the web or email connection.
But Web and Internet Provider do.

I use the latest version of avast as I installed it yesterday for the first time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 05:28:07 PM »
Have you added the ashMaiSv.exe mail scanner and ashWebSv.exe web shield to the exclusions (rather Exceptions) of WIN XP's firewall ?

Start, Control Panel, windows firewall (exceptions).

spaceman_t

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 11:07:25 PM »
How to do that?

I do only have the options program or port.
tried to open port 12080 but no change.
I cannot see any option to just grant permission to the web for an process rather than a program.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 12:12:21 AM »
It has nothing to do with changing ports. you are allowing Programs to access the internet, so click the Add Program, click Browse, navigate to the avast folder (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4) and select ashWebSv.exe, repeat the exercise for ashMaiSv.exe.

Personally, I think this is an exercice in futility because the windows firewall is almost worse than usless, but better than nothing. You would be well advised to get a full firewall and disable the windows one.

spaceman_t

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 09:13:18 AM »
Ok, i solved the issue with the web shield.
Somehow it must have been a combination of deleting all keys of former AV-software from the registry, reinstalling the german version of avast, giving the 2 providers iexception rights within XP firewall and installing seamonkey suite.
Actually, it just worked after the last step but not before.

However, Internet shield still causes me problems to send emails via smtp (strange endless returning login-screen). But I can live with that because I'm using mozilla/Seamonkey and be very careful with emails and atatchements.