Author Topic: Promotional emails from Avast should have unsubscribe option  (Read 3885 times)

REDACTED

Promotional emails from Avast should have unsubscribe option
« on: September 02, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »
If this post is in the wrong place, please move it.

I've seen plenty of posts in the Avast free/Pro/IS/Premier forum about the extreme dislike of advertising within the Avast Free program UI, but now I'm getting promotional emails from Avast that I do not want, and they do not have options to unsubscribe. My Avast Account also has no options for unsubscribing, or opting out of promotional emails. Honestly speaking, if I wanted to pay for additional services from Avast, I would have done so via the advertisement popups from the Avast UI, which pop up several times each day.

Not to be rude, but unsolicited email ads with no option to unsubscribe generally equals SPAM, which can (and most likely will) significantly lower the reputation of Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Promotional emails from Avast should have unsubscribe option
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 12:17:03 AM »
Well I haven't seen a single promotional email, if I do it will go the same way as other unsolicited email. It will be blocked by my MailWasher Pro, email spam monitor.

Whilst this is a paid email spam program you should be able to add the email address to your email program to mark spam for deletion.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 05:52:25 AM »
The email I received was sent to me on Wednesday, and was for existing Avast customers (Most likely those who have an Avast account). It was advertising 50% off Avast Cleanup for loyal avast customers, with a promotional end date of September 30th.

I can easily mark this email as SPAM/Junk, but that was not the point I was trying to make. Right now, Avast has a great reputation, but stunts like this could easily tarnish that reputation, causing people to move away from using their product. Personally, if something is continually pushed on me more and more, I'm going to end up trashing it, instead of sticking with it. Somehow I doubt the makers of Avast have any desire to push people away from using their products.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
So far I haven't received any of these unsolicited emails.

To me it is a futile exercise as any active user is likely to be getting the promotional popups and the ad in the bottom 1/4-1/3 of the UI. If they haven't taken advantage of said offers, I can't see that changing by emailing the offer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 06:45:11 AM »
Thanks! That was another point I was trying to make. If users haven't taken advantage of the offers shown in the UI ads, sending promotional emails for it won't make them want it more. We get enough ads from the UI... I see no reason to waste money by pushing more unwanted ads on avast users, who obviously do not want these paid services.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:31 PM »
Well I have just got my first avast email ad and it did have an unsubscribe option.

But it has a bit of a weird, almost a condition, not just if you don't want to receive these emails then unsubscribe. The wording is very poor bordering on if you actually registered then you can't unsubscribe.

Using the unsubscribe link it does confirm you have been unsubscribed.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:05:42 PM by DavidR »

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
I received the same thing in my email that you're talking about... it's a little better, but still should be allowed to unsubscribe from promotional emails, even if you DID subscribe. It makes me wonder if unsubscribing will remove your Avast registration, or Avast account, leaving you unprotected... Did it unregister the product/account, leaving you unprotected? If not, I may just unsubscribe... This really should be setup better than it is.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »
I ignored the poorly worded unsubscribe text and proceeded to unsubscribe.

I have suffered none of the issues you appear to be concerned with, since I unsubscribed.