Author Topic: Conflict  (Read 3507 times)

wellecbe

Conflict
« on: February 01, 2006, 11:17:27 AM »
Hey guys (girls)

About a week ago i decided to install Avast 4.6 Pro, i've first used the free version for 6 months to get to know the program.
Since i installed the Pro version i encountred a few problems:
- i cannot retrieve my mail from outlook express, without shutting down "Internet post shield"
- i cannot get on the www without shutting down "Web shield"
I have configured the right items in the Windows Firewall, but still it seems impossible to get mail & go on the web without shutting down these shields.
Does anybody regognize these problems, i shure can use the help guys...

« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:56:53 PM by wellecbe »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Conflict
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:08:36 PM »
How did you install the pro version ?
Did you pay for and receive a Pro registration key ?
- If so all you needed to do was enter the pro registration key to replace the Home key and provided you were on-line the program would upgrade automatically.

The windows firewall is not adequate protection, it is better than no firewall but it doesn't provide outbound protection. So a free third party firewall such as Zone Alarm, which has a relatively friendly user interface should be fine.

It may be that you will need to uninstall, reboot and install the pro version again. Don't do this if you are using the trial version and uninstalling will effectively complete your trial.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
Also unless you really like to recieve spam i would suggest that you remove your email address from your post....

P.S: Welcome to the forum ;)

wellecbe

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:23:08 AM »
Because i thought it would be the best way to start over, i uninstalled the free version.

I installed the latest 4.6 pro, pasted the serial in the program like it asked me to, and didn't get any notice whatsoever of malfunction. in my humble opinion, the program was working fine.

The first time i followed a link to the web i encountred the problems that i discribed in the first message, no connection to the web & no connection to my e-mail server possible.

I checked my firewall, and because the windows firewall didn't work like it used to do, i re-installed SP-2, and the firewall was reset in the original manner, i gave the firewall the necessary items it needs to give Avast permission to work.

And here we are, unless i disable the two shields (web & post) it seems impossible to get any outgoing traffic, the only traffic that's alowed, is Avast's own update, so, thats all i can tell about my conflict.

If i had an unofficial Avast, i wouldnt care and look for an other program, but i payed for it, so i hope to find a sollution for my troubles...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »
If you say that you don't get any outgoing traffic, I'm quite sure the problem is in the firewall not allowing avast! components network access. There is no difference between the Home and Professional version in network access/protection.
What firewall do you use?

wellecbe

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 11:25:20 AM »
For the moment i only use the standard "windows" firewall, i would like to first solve the AV problem before getting an adequet AV

wellecbe

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 04:50:23 PM »
Hey guys,

problem solved, i did a full system checkup with "Ewido" and let it clean (repair) some files.
Next i re-installed avast, let it run for the whole system, took about 40 minutes, and ooh yeah, problems solved.
Aparrently i had a few bugs, and avast had to fix these things before i could go on the web & dwnld my mail.
I checked again with "ad-aware & Spybot" and still it found some nasty leftovers, and last i ran Hijack this, clean as a whissle (for the moment)...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 07:25:02 PM »
Now you can further secure your system by installing a firewall that provides outbound protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security