Author Topic: scanning the recycle bin  (Read 4362 times)

roedy

scanning the recycle bin
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:14:34 PM »
 :( I think you should not scan the recycle bin by default.  It causes grief for two  reasons.

1. As Avast finds viruses, I remember all the hundreds of email spam attachments.  I start to put them in the trash.  Avasti finds them again!

2. I can't empty the recycle bin, because Avasti is holding onto a file it has found there with a virus.

I am using the home edition. I am not sure what version it is.  It updates it self regularly. It does not appear to have an about box.

Zagor

Re: scanning the recycle bin
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 03:08:30 PM »
Put the Recycle bin in the exclude list.

Right click the avast tray icon and there you will find the about box. Look at this screenshots:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 05:22:56 PM »
Surely your email attachments are going in your email programs deleted emails folder and not your recycle bin ?

I wouldn't exclude the recycle bin as there are occasions were this is actually a primary virus location, were a virus installs itself from.

When you get a detection in the recycle bin you can chose no action, but by far the best option is before you initiate an on-demand scan to clear your bowser's temporary internet files, temp folders and the recycle bin; why scan temporary files or those that you want to delete.

There are programs that can automate this process of clearing the cr*p, ClearProg - Temp File Cleaner or CCleaner - Temp File Cleaner, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 06:43:16 PM »

Yes, David is right. A few years ago, I had a virus install itself that way. And emptying the recycle bin did not work! It would not delete from the recycle bin.    >:(

I don't remember now how I finally got it out of there but it was shortly after that when I got rid of McAfee and came to Avast!    :)