Author Topic: Anoying add-redirect  (Read 6233 times)

REDACTED

Anoying add-redirect
« on: September 16, 2016, 12:04:51 PM »
Hi,

There are sites I visit that, when I click on a link, it first starts a script or something to direct me to an add. Then when I click it away an try the link again, it properly goes to the page I wanted to go. The add appears in a new browser window but there are no tabs and no toolbars. I have pop-ups disabled in the safezone browser and adds blocked. But this seems not to be a pop-up although  it keeps popping up :-) . This happens only with these particular sites, other sites I visit work perfectly so I guess it's not a infection on my PC.

Why is it so hard for browsers to block those redirects and adds? While these particular redirects are not malicious I am hoping, they well could be. I started to use the safezone  browser just because of these annoyances. So can it be blocked without losing proper browser functionality?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:55:36 PM by hagar_hagarson »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Anoying add-redirect
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 12:46:34 PM »
Hi, have you got any examples..!?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »
There is nothing you can do about it without losing normal browser functionality.
Best thing to do is to stay away fro those sites as they often are not reliable (malicious).

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »
Hi, have you got any examples..!?

Example removed by Hagar

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:54:26 PM by hagar_hagarson »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »
May I ask if this is a legit site..!??
If not, see Reply #2 from Eddy. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 04:54:05 PM »
Eddy, I get it that certain sites are offering "illegal" content and might be risky.  But try to look beyond that for now and talk about safe browsers, which was my issue. Someone might just as well wonder around on the internet en get malicious content even when they are not like me being a bit naughty by looking for Illegal content.  Avast has been very good so far in protecting me from malicious sites. But the safezone browser does not block redirects. It also has no option to block certain websites. I like to block, and/or I like safezone to block those sites where I redirected to. Why ever allow sneaky redirects, why is this not stopped in a browser that's called safezone? 

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:01:16 PM by hagar_hagarson »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
May I ask if this is a legit site..!??
If not, see Reply #2 from Eddy. ;)

How you you know if a site is legit? In this case I know it's offering illegal content, but I might visit another site from which I do not know anything yet. Is it not the purpose of Safezone to offer a safe zone, just because people do not always walk the straight and narrow path?

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
There is nothing you can do about it without losing normal browser functionality.
Best thing to do is to stay away fro those sites as they often are not reliable (malicious).

Is it not possible to install plug-ins which allow blocking of certain websites. I can't find an option to do that in Safezone.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:17:28 PM by hagar_hagarson »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »
Blocking redirects would be silly as many legitimate websites are using them.
If you want to block websites, do it in your hosts file or firewall or router.

Security starts with the user, not with hardware/-software.
No matter how much protections the SafeZone Browser/the av/the router/the firewall etc offer, they are useless if you keep visiting sites like that.

If you could install plug-ins, that would mean you also could install malicious ones which will defeat the entire purpose of the SZB.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
Blocking redirects would be silly as many legitimate websites are using them.
If you want to block websites, do it in your hosts file or firewall or router.

I can't think of a legitimate reason for a sneaky redirect by any website, redirecting to somewhere else than to the link which the page code is showing.
Don't you think safezone should bring you to the link you are expecting?

If you could install plug-ins, that would mean you also could install malicious ones which will defeat the entire purpose of the SZB.

Ok. I see what you mean.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
I can think of some legit reasons, just one being that the ad content isn't on the site you are viewing, but on some ad server/service.

That said I don't use the SZ browser, but Firefox in that I run NoScript (which should first block the script) and RequestPolicy add-ons. The latter effectively kills these ad redirects and many other connections with 3rd party sites unless you have specifically allowed that 3rd party site (ad or otherwise).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »

That said I don't use the SZ browser, but Firefox in that I run NoScript (which should first block the script) and RequestPolicy add-ons. The latter effectively kills these ad redirects and many other connections with 3rd party sites unless you have specifically allowed that 3rd party site (ad or otherwise).
The point I was trying to make is that one expects Safezone to create a safe zone where it denies all possibly unsafe redirections or scripts to be run unless I specifically Allow it. It does not fully. 
I had my hopes set on a browser whose security was hard to beat, and still gives the user normal functionality.

Thanks guys for your input.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 11:06:17 PM »
I had my hopes set on a browser whose security was hard to beat, and still gives the user normal functionality.
Try Sandboxing your browser with Avast Sandbox and use the Avast Sandbox setting to tweak.
The best things in life are free.