Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 3103 times)

tejas

Need Help
« on: February 04, 2006, 08:11:15 AM »
Hi people,
I like you all am a avast antivirus user.

Now my problem is that whenever I try to go for a full system scan on my computer, the antivirus in enhanced interface gives me a no. of warnings that so-and-so file was skipped due to scanner settings.
this happens for a lot of extensions like images, swfs, Style Sheets etc.

can any1 explain it to me why is this so? plz

regards,

tejas

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 03:11:49 PM »
Please give some examples of the reasons why a file can't be scanned and the file name and location of the file.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tejas

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 04:13:41 PM »
hi david,

thanks for the prompt reply.... secondly.... I am attaching the log file for the scan. you can have a look for yourself.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 05:26:31 PM »
You should be able to check it yourself, look again at my part about examining the contents of the log, I don't know what you have installed on your system. But it looks like the scan settings or you have set the avast Program Settings, Exclusions is set to exclude these files. You will need to check what your settings/exclusions are.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:48:36 PM »
I guess you ran a "quick scan" (or maybe "standard", but certainly not "thorough"); in that case, only dangerous files, recognized by their file extensions, are scanned - the others are skipped. That's what you see in the report.