Author Topic: New toolbar on notifcation screen  (Read 7790 times)

REDACTED

New toolbar on notifcation screen
« on: September 17, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
Is there a way to remove the new avast toolbar from the notification screen in the beta.  Personally can't see much use for it

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: New toolbar on notifcation screen
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
If I remember correctly I read in another thread that it has to be there due to changes in Android.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »
You remember correctly.  Thread https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=181907.0 discusses it and the fact that Marshmallow is much more aggressive in closing any app that is not in the Notification bar running in the background.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 03:33:20 AM »
Thanks.  Makes sense

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
I have two supposedly identical Alcatel Pixi dual-SIM 4013Ds [1], both running 4.4.2 KitKat with the 2015-11-01 security patch and the same Custom Build Version. Both are running AMS v5.6.1-12769-ea36cb7

What I don't understand is that one of them shows the new toolbar [with Scan device, Check security, Boost RAM & Scan storage buttons], but the other still displays the old "We're always looking out for you" message and no toolbar. The new toolbar is quite useful for quick access to Avast apps.

I have looked at all the "Settings" options in the AMS app proper and they're all the same!

Can anyone suggest what else to try on the phone with the "old" display?

[1] I split my time between the UK, Switzerland & Spain and need local numbers & data plans in each.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:38:01 PM by holmdps »

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 08:23:26 PM »
Hi all,

just to clear up some confusion: We're currently testing the new permanent notification look, aka the toolbar, so it's not available for all users yet. We're planning on adding some settings so you can choose between the new and old style, as well as the color variant (dark/light) of the new one to better match your system UI. When it's ready, we'll make the new notification available for all.

It's a pretty big change in terms of people being used to something they see every day, so we try our best to really make it work for everyone.

Thanks for understanding.
Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:32:03 PM »
Ondra,

Many thanks for the information. I thought it a bit odd that I get different notifications on identical phones.

I really like the the new toolbar and will be setting that on both phones when it becomes selectable.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 02:59:26 AM »
Hi all,

just to clear up some confusion: We're currently testing the new permanent notification look, aka the toolbar, so it's not available for all users yet. We're planning on adding some settings so you can choose between the new and old style, as well as the color variant (dark/light) of the new one to better match your system UI. When it's ready, we'll make the new notification available for all.

It's a pretty big change in terms of people being used to something they see every day, so we try our best to really make it work for everyone.

Thanks for understanding.
Ondra
I really suggest that besides the scanning options (or Avast specific ones), we should have quick settings buttons. Better if it is configurable. Also, for my taste, the buttons are too large.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
The notification is standard height, so I guess you're talking about putting more buttons horizontally. I guess it could work, but we wouldn't be able to put the labels there. We'll see where this goes :).

Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
Sorry, but I need to change this permanent toolbar behaviour now.

It totally blocks my own notification area when my android phone is locked.  My own notification area is a 'in case found please contact <phone number> Reward given'.

With the Avast permanent toolbar in the notification I'm now at severe risk if my phone is lost.

If I can't remove the Avast toolbar I will need to consider uninstalling Avast and finding a different solution.  Would be a pity as Avast is otherwise excellent.

Thanks

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 10:33:35 PM »
Hi, it has been confirmed that the following update will bring an option to switch to a simple permanent notification, as it used to look like before version 5.6.1, I hope it helps.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
Thank you.  Do you have an estimated date when the update will be released?

regards

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 12:03:35 AM »
Hi, it has been confirmed that the following update will bring an option to switch to a simple permanent notification, as it used to look like before version 5.6.1, I hope it helps.
That is good to know. Especially the fact that it has changed to something i only know from bloatware tools, speedup utilities, aggressive advertising apps, and equally unserious applications, was quite confusing first, i actually thought my phone was infected. After like half an hour of Googling, i found out that it is the new Avast Mobile Security notification.... it really should show somewhere that it's from Avast! Really, this is a bit crazy. I'm very glad you decide to bring up a new, more simple notification. The Avast one shouldn't look like mal-, ad- or bloatware stuff. This one will confuse the hell out of a lot of your users.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:12:17 AM by Kaleun »

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 02:42:53 AM »
Hi Tereza,

My version of AMS was just updated to 5.6.2 (12828). You mentioned in your Sept. 29th post that this new update will bring an option to switch to a simple permanent notification, as it used to look like before version 5.6.1. The only change I can see is a change in the notification bar items. The "Scan Storage" option was replaced with "Clear Clipboard." I can't find the setting to go back to the notification as it used to look before version 5.6.1 which is the notification I prefer.

Can you please tell me where the notification setting to change back is or if the change actually did not make it into this update?

Thank you so very much for any information you provide!

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »
Hi,

the mentioned settings is not in 5.6.2, which was just a bugfix version. It'll be in the next proper one, 5.7.X. Maybe not in the initial beta release, but eventually it'll be there.

Ondra