Author Topic: After installing 4.6, WinMX will not download any files. :(  (Read 14603 times)

MusicJunkie

Re: After installing 4.6, WinMX will not download any files. :(
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 02:47:44 AM »
Ok, got an update here.  I've double checked my firewall twice now, reconfigured the TCP and UDP.  It still doesn't wanna work, despite going through all of this.

I've read up on the WinMX help site, and they're saying that some Internet Providers will actually block the 6699 and 6257 ports to prevent users from establishing a connection through WinMX, among other things.  I'm guessing because of issues with bandwidth.  Or at least I hope that's the reasoning behind it.  Cause I could always change the port numbers. :)

I will test this out on 2 other computers in the household.  If I still have problems, that would pretty much confirm my suspicions.  Yes, I know this isn't avast! related.  It's just in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 09:24:20 AM »
Thanks for the update. Good look with your provider! :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Starfighter

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 11:59:19 PM »
MusicJunky--did you ever figure out what the problem was?  Any solutions?  A friend of mine experienced the same thing as you.   Suspect the ISP now blocks... 

Are there any good replacements for WinMX that are 1) free and 2) no spyware etc?

Thanks!

Hexlord

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 07:44:43 AM »
Limewire has malware? That's something new to me because I had it and everything seems to be running well :)

Starfighter

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 01:22:06 AM »
Limewire has malware? That's something new to me because I had it and everything seems to be running well :)

Their website:

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/download.shtml

States that they don't guarantee that their free version is ad / nagware free.   ad to me means adware... not good.

Hexlord

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 05:07:33 AM »
Oic.. well, I am okay with some ads ( Like on Opera and MSN ).. just that hope that nothing extra is installed...

Sapphire

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 04:43:43 PM »
If you are like I am and are lacking in the "technical skills" department, but at the same time, miss using WinMX, there is a quick, easy and free solution it is called MXPIE. There is no spyware or anything else bundled with it. For those a little more savvy and courageous, there is even a manual option.

So come on back to WinMX, and download to your hearts content. Thanks to these updates, not even the power of the RIAA can stop a network.

IF you have downloaded WinMX and still cannot connect, you can even get personalized realtime help. Just go to this link WinMX Channels Copy the Room name appropriate for your Language and paste it into your WinMX chat screen, then press the Join Button. This works on version 3.53 and up even if you are not connected. It allows you to join into chatrooms set up for you to get immediate help.

Everything you need at the MXPIE Website Free and Spyware free.

I have also found a site for Computer problem that is nice, prompt and VERY helpful. If there is a problem you need an answer to, they can help.

Realtime help available for WinMX 3.53 users having trouble getting connected. Go to WinMX Channels.