Author Topic: Provider not running  (Read 2988 times)

chindlund

Provider not running
« on: February 21, 2006, 02:57:45 PM »
I have Outlook 2003.  When I open avast! it states that the Provider is waiting for a subsystem to start for Outlook.  Does this mean it is not scanning my emails?  How do I enable it?  I have avast! Home version 4.6

electronikk

Re: Provider not running
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:00:51 PM »
Hi chindlund!

The outlook-provider starts as soon as you start outlook. (At least it should.) Please start outlook and check if the provider is running then...

btw: Please use the search function of this forum or have a look at the faqs on www.avast.com. Many questions have been asked many times. On a second thought: Maybe every branch of this forum should have a sticky topic that advises users to use search/faq first.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:09:42 PM by electronikk »

chindlund

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:18:27 PM »
I did look at the FAQs before I posted this.  I did not find an answer to my question.  Avast! starts before Outlook starts, yet when I open avast! it still indicates that the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start. -- that's after Outlook is open.  It SHOULD be running, correct?  Can you tell me how to fix it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 03:48:46 PM »
I have Outlook 2003.  When I open avast! it states that the Provider is waiting for a subsystem to start for Outlook.  Does this mean it is not scanning my emails?  How do I enable it?  I have avast! Home version 4.6
As reported a lot of times, the message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.

Check if the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:

Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager

The Internet Mail Provider is an avast! resident provider and it is not just the corresponding service. If you have Internet Mail running and stop the "avast! Mail Scanner" service, you disable the scanning of e-mails, but you don't turn the provider into "stopped" state (rather "waiting for a subsystem to start"). Similarly, if Internet Mail is stopped, you cannot start it just by starting the "avast! Mail Scanner" service.

Welcome to forums!
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:21:44 PM »
Welcome to the forums, chindlund.    :)

This FAQ should probably be under "Email Problems" instead of "Other problems" since many new users think of this as an email problem before they know it is just the way the Outlook program works. Here is the link for the FAQ on the Avast website:

http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-other-questions.html#idt_218