Author Topic: DNSUnlocker  (Read 2232 times)

REDACTED

DNSUnlocker
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
Inapplicable. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:29:50 AM by Triegh »

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: DNSUnlocker
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:43:26 AM »

Before we start repairing the system, did you know that System Restore is disabled?

If you did not do this intentionally, please check the following:

Go to Start and type System in the search box.

Click on System (under Control Panel or Settings) and then on System Protection.

Click on Configure and then select Turn on system protection.

Click Apply and then OK.

In the System Protection screen, is Protection now On for the drive?

FIRST >>>>

Please go to START (Windows Orb) >> Control Panel >> Uninstall a Program or Programs and Features and remove the following (if listed):

Yahoo Search Set

To do so, left clicking on the name once and then click Uninstall/Change at the bar above the list window. 

Follow the prompts of the uninstaller BUT please read carefully any questions it asks before answering; some uninstallers will try and deceive you into keeping the software.

SECOND >>>>

Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.
Please attach it to your reply.

Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
Hi dbrisendine,

Thanks for the reply. Yup I disabled system restore since few years back because the impression that was given is that the function takes up a significant amount of space on my C drive.

I went ahead and run adwcleaner and I did remember deleting the file Yahoo Search Set as one of the issues the software detected. The mentioned program is not listed the last I checked. The problem seems to stopped completely after that so I assumed that it's fixed. Should I still proceed with the second instruction since things were changed since?

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »
The second part (the Fixlist script) would not hurt in this case as it was mostly removing the Yahoo Search malware pieces.  If you do run it , please make sure to post (attach) the resulting Fixlog.txt report file for review here.  Thanks.
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply! I have run it and attached the fixlog for review.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:56:31 AM by Triegh »

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the log; everything looked fine.  Since you state your system is no longer having a issue, let's remove the tools from your system and give you a good reference point to move forward from:

Clean up of Malware Removal Tools
Now that we are through using these tools, let's clean them off your system so that should you ever need to have malware removed again (we hope not) fresh, updated copies will be downloaded.

• Download Delfix from here to your desktop and double click it to start the program
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
  • Create registry backup
  • Purge system restore

• Click Run
  • The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Note: Please save this log first before rebooting your system (if asked to); DelFix does not save the log as it is trying to remove all traces of our work on your system.  Please attach the log in your next reply.
You can delete any log files left on your desktop as these are no longer needed.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 07:59:41 AM »
Activate UAC and Reset system settings is unchecked by default. Following your instructions, I did not have those 2 ticked but the image shows otherwise. Works like a charm nonetheless :)

Really appreciate the advises! Thank you~

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 08:09:48 AM »
You are welcome!  Come back anytime you need help.   :)