Author Topic: Weird hiccups with my phone, AMS notifies "too many processes running"  (Read 3143 times)

REDACTED

So, during last three days I've had weird hiccups with my Samsung Galaxy S3, which I've had for almost 3 years by now. On random occasions, my phone's internet signal seems to randomly cut off (as the connection bar is replaced with error cirle icon, which would not be offbeat by itself probably, but sometimes when this happens, my phone's screen starts flickering like malfunctioning TV or computer monitor. I'm not completely sure if these two issues are connected, since the connection issues have been happening without screen flickering. When these issues have occured together however, they've occasionally caused my phone to freeze and restart or I've had to restart it manually, and on one occasion has caused it to fall into restart cycle, with new restart right after the screen flickers again when it gets to the screen where I'd enter my pin code.

Today I noticed that when the screen flickering starts, Avast Mobile Security gives a notification of too many processes running on the same time on my phone. When I've tapped on the notification and let it close all those processes, some of them have been normal processes running constantly, but some of those processes are kind of which should not be running by themselves, like photo gallery, camera, alarm clock etc. which don't appear to be visible when I try to check my phone's "running processes" menu.

I've been talking about these issues to some, and I've heard suspicion for possible gremlin in my phone, it feels little weird since I haven't visited any random websites with my phone and only visited offical websites, nor ever installed any applications, and neither Malwarebytes Mobile or AMS haven't detected anything. I've also had some occasional lags and freezes here and there with my phone all over the year, so I've personally had thoughts about my phone simply being getting old. Another interesting thing is that all of this doesn't seem to occur when my pohne just sits idling, and only starts when I browse internet with mobile Firefox. The time when all this randomly occurs seems to be whenever I use my phone at work 10.00 - 14.00, but after that when experimentally using it at home, it doesn't seem to do anything. All notecable I've done during the last week has been installing bunch of application updates, which I remember doing on the same day as all these hiccups started.

So, this is all rather problematic. Could it be my phone would be messing with itself or something else?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:36:20 PM by Pernaman »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Weird hiccups with my phone, AMS notifies "too many processes running"
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:43:43 PM »
Hi Pernaman, have you tried to use another browser? If I get it right, it only happens when you use Firefox browser, but Avast Mobile Security Web Shield only protects native Android Browser, Google Chrome, Amazon Silk, Boat Browser, Boat Browser mini and lately we have added experimental support for Dolphin Browser Mini. Please try to uninstall the Firefox and use one of the listed above. If the problem persists, let me know, thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »
Hi Tereza V.!

Little update: The internet connection seems to have something to do with my workplace possibly having poor connection, as I haven't had issues with my phone's connection during the weekend. The one thing that has reoccurred seems to be Avast mobile suddenly reports "too many processes running" when I use Firefox on my phone. Though it seems that on Android, applications like photo gallery, camera, alarm clock etc. are normally running in the backround. But apparently all issues listed above are not all connected to each other, but apparently just some seperate hiccups happening the same time. I'll see if the problem reoccurs on other browsers.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »
Apparently AMS "too many processes" notification bug(?) has nothing to do with my mobile browsers directly, since I've had it outside of using them as well. Though it doesn't seem to bother my phone's functionality at all. I installed an update for AMS trough Google Play earlier this week, but it didn't seem to affect the issue.  :-\

Offline Mike Bloodworth

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
I've been having similar problems on my LG L33L Android phone, using Chrome.  Ironically, I never had any of these problems BEFORE I installed the Avast mobile app.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:41:14 PM »
Hi, your problem actually concerns something slightly different. "Too many processes running" is a notification, which offers you to use the "Boost ram" feature, which kills tasks running in the background (although the system processes are usually automatically restarted). The notification appears only when there really are many processes or apps running (which might slow down the device and cause it to catch).