Author Topic: Dramatic Drop in Files Scanned During Scheduled Scan  (Read 2705 times)

REDACTED

Dramatic Drop in Files Scanned During Scheduled Scan
« on: September 25, 2016, 06:50:24 AM »
Hi,

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime running Android 5.1.1 and the most recent version of AMS.

Prior to the daily virus definitions update on Friday, 9/23, AMS would scan approximately 760 files/apps during my daily scheduled scan. Since Friday, the number of files/apps it scans during the scheduled scan has dropped to 482.

I have deleted nothing between the 22nd and 23rd. In fact, I installed another app (SMS Backup and Restore by Carbonite) on the 23rd, so I expected the number of files/apps scanned to have increased. 

I am very concerned that AMS is not scanning my entire phone during the scheduled scans. According to the Activity Log, it does seem to be scanning app updates and various numbers of files throughout the day.

I've also run the scan manually to see if that made a difference but still only 482 files/apps are scanned.

Has anyone else experienced this change in what is scanned recently? Any thoughts on what could be causing the issue?

Thanks so very much for your help!

Best regards,

mybuddy19998

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
Re: Dramatic Drop in Files Scanned During Scheduled Scan
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:15:16 AM »
Hi,

could you check how many files do you actually have on the storage? For example FX File Manager is able to tell you if you long press on the storage and go to Details / Usage.

Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:29:05 AM »
Hi Ondra,

Thank you so very much for the quick reply.

I installed FX File Manager as you suggested. I checked the usage of my Main Storage, and it shows the number of files as 428 just as AMS is now showing. So, it appears that AMS is working correctly.

However, as I mentioned in my original post, I increased the number of files on my phone at the time AMS showed the decrease in number of files. Do you know why AMS had been reporting such a significantly higher number of files until the 23rd?

I also have Malwarebytes installed on my phone. In it's scans, it reports scanning 383 files and 249 apps. So, it appears that it isn't scanning all the folders in my Main Storage but it is scanning my apps whereas AMS isn't.

Does the AMS scheduled scan only scan files and not the installed apps? It seems that when AMS was reporting a higher number in the scheduled scans, it was including the apps.

As an aside, thank you so very much for the recommendation of FX File Manager. It is an awesome app.

Thank you immensely for any information you can provide.

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 06:56:04 AM »
Hi Ondra,

I have an update to this issue.

The scheduled scan just ran, and the number of items scanned increased to 463, an increase of 35 items. So, I rechecked the usage of my Main Storage, and it shows the number of files as 405 - a decrease of 23 files. I think it makes sense that the number of items AMS scanned would increase as I added the FX File Manager app yesterday. I can't explain why the FX File Manager app shows a decrease since yesterday.

Do you know why the results of the AMS scheduled scan and the number of files shown in the usage of my Main Storage by FX File Manager are now different?

When the AMS scan results indicate 463 ITEMS, does that include all installed apps and files? I have 250 apps installed on my phone according to Malwarebytes, so if the 463 items includes both apps and files, the scheduled scan appears to be scanning far fewer files that are in my Main Storage.

I sincerely appreciate any guidance you can provide!

Best regards,

mybuddy1998

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »
Hi,

the number of files on the storage can change all the time, apps store and delete files during their work, so it's not that surprising.

Scheduled scan does the same thing as would happen when you press "Scan this device" button. This means that if you have "Internal storage scanning" checked in settings, it will scan Apps and Files.

What could also be possible is that scheduled scan runs, you see the result in couple of hours and meanwhile the number of files changes?

Ondra

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 05:34:58 AM »
Hi Ondra,

Thank you immensely for the very detailed explanation of what is happening! It makes complete sense. This is my first smartphone, and I'm still learning a lot about it, so I'm very grateful for your taking the time to explain these details.

I have had "Internal storage scanning" checked in settings since I installed AMS.

Your thoughts on what is happening with scheduled scans are completely correct. Most of the time the scan runs, and I check the results an hour or so after it finishes.

Again, I thank you so very much for all of your help with this issue!

Best regards,

mybuddy1998