Author Topic: Avast 'Startup Scan' Issue on Desktop  (Read 1875 times)

REDACTED

Avast 'Startup Scan' Issue on Desktop
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »
Hi there,
Usually I see once per month avast will update itself and cause my computer to run awfully, a restart usually fixes it (this seems to be normal for Windows 10, installs will wreck it until restart)

I just want to ask someone to confirm new features that I haven't seen before? With how badly it happened this time I am worried a virus has taken Avasts place.

Also I am using Windows 10 Pro with the Avast Free.

On getting to the desktop, a popup appeared next to the date/time showing "Startup Scan" in progress with options to Stop or Pause it, completing quickly. I have never seen this before and was the first thing that worries me that this is a virus.

Secondly, I had a weird perhaps bug with it where starting a new Quick Scan would keep making this "Startup Scan" popup appear, although that has stopped now that the startup scan managed to complete.

Are these features other people have?? Hopefully, otherwise it is time to fumigate my PC  ;D .

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 07:46:54 PM by Navasai »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.

REDACTED

Re: Avast 'Startup Scan' Issue on Desktop
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:59:59 PM »
In there I see no mentions of this 'Startup Scan' feature ??? I thought it would be helpful before I made this post but it doesn't mention it.

I stress this isn't the Boot-scan, it is a scan that happens on the desktop and is called Startup Scan.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:02:24 PM by Navasai »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »
Do you happen to have the avast Cleanup function installed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »
Hi there,
Yes I think I see in my Components section there is a "Cleanup" component installed. Is that the culprit?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »
I elected not to install it, so I can't say for certainty when it runs, but there have been other topics where this increases CPU activity, which could have an impact.

I would suggest disabling this within the components section and restart your system. Now follow your normal routine and see if this continues. Then try the Quick Scan and see if that triggers it.

I would have thought that it would be more likely to be triggered in the Smart Scan as that runs a collection of scans at once.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security