Author Topic: Avast on Start-up  (Read 4138 times)

Zuwxiv

Avast on Start-up
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »
I know this will sound stupid, but how do you prevent Avast from running on start-up? This computer belongs to someone else in my family, and they are very peristant about only using their Antivirus program, which frankly is horrible.

Is it possible to keep Avast on the computer, without the popup message "There is another antivirus program running!"? I just want to use Avast to run extra scans, as well as boot-time scans, not the on-access program running.

Thanks for any help!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast on Start-up
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 10:57:46 PM »
The problem is that as far as I know you can't because avast is a resident scanner and not an on demand scanner

DragoXT

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 06:08:58 AM »
Yes you can disable avast just like any other virus scanner and firewall out there.  When i was testing all the different virus scanners and firewalls, i had 4 virus scanners and 3 firewalls installed on my computer at the same time and never had any issues cause i only let one run at at time.

Simply go to start, run, then type services.msc then press enter.  Now all you have to do is stop every avast service and then set them to disabled and they will not run at startup.  To run your scans manually all you have to do is go back to services.msc and then set avast! Antivirus, and the avast! iAVS4 Control service to manual and then start them.  Now you will be able to update avast and run your scans.  Then just turn them back off and disable them before you let your family member have the computer back.

Zuwxiv

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 08:11:57 AM »
Okay, I'll try that. Thanks for the help!

8)