Author Topic: Microsoft Forza Horizon 3 on PC crashing due to Avast?  (Read 29951 times)

REDACTED

Re: Microsoft Forza Horizon 3 on PC crashing due to Avast?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 04:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply appreciate it, already installed them last night still the same.

Only thing that's working is uninstalling avast.

Other things I have tried

Reinstalling forza and then resetting the app.
Checking my drivers.
Disable microphones - suggested on the forza forums
Reinstalling avast after a prober clean and uninstall - this causes the issue again

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »
Just uninstalled avast, then ran CC cleaner.

Installed it again then followed the workaround

Now its running :)

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 11:43:14 PM »
I've been using the latest version of Avast Internet Security (at least the latest version for Brazilian Portuguese) v 12.3.2280 and I'm also facing the same problem with Forza Horizon 3 in Widows 10 Pro 64bits Anniversary Update.

I have a PC with an i5 4690, 8GB DDR3 RAM and an AMD R9 280x with its latest driver 16.9.2 and the game crashes some seconds after the game is opened.

I tried uninstalling Avast and the game ran normally after that. I insisted reinstalling Avast to check if the problem stopped, with no luck.

At least if I set Avast for Passive Mode and then restart the PC, the game runs normally. It's still very risky to use an AV on passive mode though, so I expect a solution for this.

Offline Hried

• Avast team
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »
Hi,
we actually ran extensive tests on Forza day before launch and ran only into crashes that were not caused by Avast but rather by NVIDIA video drivers. Updating them did fix all crashes regardless whether Avast was installed or not. We made especially sure to also enable virtualization as was reported on the official forum that might be the source of them problem but still no luck in getting Forza to crash :)
May I ask you to try to reinstall Avast now that Forza is working and let us know whether it changed anything? Our suspicion is that it was the restart itself that made Forza work, not the actual presence of the antivirus. I see several of you already did that but please let's have it as the first step of our diagnosis for everyone - please try to reinstall with default options (backup your avast5.ini and remove it). Is there anyone who was experiencing crashes and can now play after reinstalling Avast without problem? Do you experience it even on Avast Free? Do you experience it on Avast Free with Passive Mode on?
If this doesn't help, the issue then has to be tied to either specific configuration of Avast, its interaction with other programs or hardware configuration. Anything you can tell us that might be in common between everyone experiencing the issue will be of big help.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:25:10 AM by Deirh »

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »
My steps i took to get it working

First - Installed forza as you would any game - crash
2nd - Updated drivers for nvidia and windows- restart - crash
3rd - Tried the Avast workaround - restart - crash
4th - Uninstall Avast - Restart - Runs
5th - Installed Avast - Restart - crash
6th - Uninstall Avast - Run CCleaner - Restart - Install Avast - Restart - Game runs

So For whatever reason that worked for me.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 01:24:31 AM »
Yo guys, found a fix on forzas support forum thought id come back and share.

First open Avast and go to Settings > Troubleshooting and turn off the self defense module(this is only temporary).

Set your explorer to show hidden files and then browse to "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast" (it will be there even if Avast is not installed on your C drive) and open "avast5.ini" in Notepad (I use Notepad++) as an admin. Under the common section add "VirtualizationMechanisms=0" (without quotes) and save the file.

Restart your PC and re-enable the self defense module and the game should launch without crashing.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 11:52:05 AM »

First open Avast and go to Settings > Troubleshooting and turn off the self defense module(this is only temporary).

Set your explorer to show hidden files and then browse to "C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast" (it will be there even if Avast is not installed on your C drive) and open "avast5.ini" in Notepad (I use Notepad++) as an admin. Under the common section add "VirtualizationMechanisms=0" (without quotes) and save the file.

Restart your PC and re-enable the self defense module and the game should launch without crashing.

Can someone from Avast team comment if this fix is considered safe?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
Can someone from Avast team comment if this fix is considered safe?
Yes, go for it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 10:31:25 PM »
hey guys
I was able to get past this issue by putting AVAST into "Passive Mode" after a reboot I could get past the intro video and play forza no problem.

Once I launched the game I just turned passive mode off and ptu avast back into active mode and no problems thus far forza is working.

I have not tried the "VirtualizationMechanism" fix yet. however if my method fails I will then try that.

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 02:54:49 AM »

Just wanted to confirm that this works and say thanks man! I was playing FH3 on another hard drive with a new copy of Windows 10 with no antivirus because nobody could figure out the issue.

Offline Hried

• Avast team
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »
Thanks for your input! We were able to finally reproduce the issue in our lab and it indeed seems it has to do something with our virtualization (possibly clashing with Forza's self-defense mechanisms, unconfirmed yet). Will keep you updated once we know more - until then, please use the fix involving settings VirtualizationMechanisms=0 in avast5.ini to disable it.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
Hi folks, I'm having trouble finding the avast5.ini file. I've followed the instructions, navigation path and enabled hidden files but there's no avast5.ini in that directory. I'm a bit puzzled, can anyone help please?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »
The location depends on what OS you have and where you have installed avast.
Simply search for it.

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 09:03:36 AM »
Hi folks, I'm having trouble finding the avast5.ini file. I've followed the instructions, navigation path and enabled hidden files but there's no avast5.ini in that directory. I'm a bit puzzled, can anyone help please?

I can confirm that I'm also having the same issue.. can't find the avast5.ini file - even with view hidden files turned on, and I have done a search of C:\ for this file.

However putting Avast into "Passive Mode" from settings > troubleshooting and then restarting computer, launching Forza 3 horizon then alt tab and turning passive mode off again is still working as a work around to the problem, I can play forza no worries doing this.

I would like to do the ini fix but can't find it ???  :(

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
Here's the path for avast5.ini: C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)