Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 8403 times)

mrmcctt

A couple of questions
« on: February 04, 2006, 02:27:40 AM »
OK....I decided to try out avast.  The program controls and settings look very thorough but I'm having two problems.

First my system info.

AMD Sempron 2200 with 512 MB RAM.
Currently no AV or software firewall.  (I just uninstalled them to try avast)  I had eTrust suite (AV, Firewall, Anti-Spam and Pest Patrol...free from my ISP)
Windows 2000 SP4
avast Version 4.6.763

Problem 1.  For the list of providers the provider for Outlook 2003 is not starting.  I found in the FAQ an entry to fix this using this code:
Code: [Select]
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
No luck.  I get a message stating 'DllRegisterServer in ACTSKIN4.OCX succeeded' to which I click OK.  The provider still won't start.  I have Administrative privileges with the current user account.

Problem 2.  I have seen a couple of posts for this in the forum but their solutions didn't seem to help.  After installing avast, every time I start the computer, avast says it needs to restart the system.

Problem 1 is not a big issue since I use Thunderbird and not Outlook anyhow.  Problem 2 is getting annoying and I'm not sure that avast is working properly.

I installed the program with the 'Custom' setting but didn't change any options.  I was just curious what the options were.  I have uninstalled and re-installed with the same effects.  I have downloaded the program again and re-installed to make sure I got a good download.  Same problems.  The program is registered as a home installation through the program.

Can someone please give me a starting point on how to fix the reboot problem at least?  From what I've seen, I like the software and really want to use it.  I just need it to function properly.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for any replies.

Randy

EDIT:  I found out why the Outlook provider wasn't running...It's because Outlook was not open.  So now I only have the reboot problem.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 02:37:19 AM by mrmcctt »

timcan

Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 02:56:04 AM »
Welcome mrmcctt, possibly etrust did not uninstall completely.It seems a lot of people have problems with norton uninstall(as an example).Did you check add/remove for any other etust products?

mrmcctt

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 03:01:35 AM »
I completely uninstalled all of the programs from the eTrust suite.  I tried running RegSeeker after to (hopefully) clear everything out of the registry.

timcan

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 03:12:30 AM »
Maybe someone else will have an idea.Avast has an uninstall utility available. You might search etrust site to see if they have one.

mrmcctt

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 03:35:01 AM »
eTrust didn't have an uninstall program that I could find but the site did give me some clues about where to check in the registry.  As far as I can tell, eTrust is completely gone.

I'm still at a loss as to why avast still wants a reboot at every boot up.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 03:41:37 AM »

Have you tried a repair of the avast program?

Add/remove > select Avast anti-virus > click Change/Remove > scroll down and select Repair > click OK and follow instructions.

You must be on-line when you do this.

I hope this helps you.    :)

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 03:51:39 AM »
See above  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 06:11:48 AM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

mrmcctt

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 03:52:51 AM »

Have you tried a repair of the avast program?

Add/remove > select Avast anti-virus > click Change/Remove > scroll down and select Repair > click OK and follow instructions.

You must be on-line when you do this.

I hope this helps you.    :)

Thanks but that didn't do it either.  After the repair you are prompted to restart the computer.  I did and after the restart I was still prompted to restart the computer.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 07:55:37 AM »
 :)  Hi mrmcctt :

From the posts, it appears you have used 2 of the 3
     "steps" I usually recommend to insure complete removal
      of a program; the only "step" I did not see mentioned
      is if you used "Search > All files and folders", put in the
     "search term" "eTrust" 1st and "Pest Patrol" later and
      deleted every appropiate entry the "Search" lists !?

mrmcctt

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »
Hmmmm.......

Maybe it needed all those restarts.  After doing everything that I mentioned above yesterday and shutting down for the night to think about this, I got up this morning and booted up the system.  No restart prompt!!!!  Cool!!!

Thanks to all for your help.  I think I'm going to like this.

Randy

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »

Yes, doing a reboot after changes made is something we often take for granted and fail to mention.    :(

Sometimes it is not needed but at other times it is.    :P

It's good to know your problem is solved!    :D

mrmcctt

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 04:56:31 AM »
OK.....Spoke too soon.  It ran most of the day fine and then just popped up a restart window for no appearant reason.  I thought it might have just updated and needed a reboot so I rebooted. 

Now every time I start Windows again, it asks for a reboot. ???

Any ideas?

Thanks.

As an edit, I have been reading http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18091.0 and found out that the reboot.txt file keeps getting generated in the avast\setup folder and that this key in the registry keeps getting generated:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOpertaions

I think this isi my problem but don't know the cure.  The reboot.txt file that is generated is always an empty (0kb) file. ???
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 07:24:31 AM by mrmcctt »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 08:54:13 PM »
There's nothing else in the PendingFileRenameOperations key?
(it's a "multi-string" value, so you have to open it to see all the items).

mrmcctt

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 05:49:47 AM »
There's nothing else in the PendingFileRenameOperations key?
(it's a "multi-string" value, so you have to open it to see all the items).

I'm not sure how to open it.  If I double click on the key, all I get looks like hex code that I cannot copy and paste here.  Also a new, empty reboot.txt file gets created in the 'c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\setup' folder

Below is all that is in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations key:

Type Column: 
REG_MULTI_SZ
Followed by

Data Column: 
\??\C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt
I am curious about the '\??\' in the key as I don't ever remember seeing anything like this before.

Thanks for the reply.  Hopefully I can get this worked out.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 05:53:58 AM by mrmcctt »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »
Try regedt32.exe (instead of regedit.exe) - it's got better display of multi-string values.

The question marks (\??\C:\...) are OK.