Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 8401 times)

mrmcctt

Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 02:25:12 PM »
I forgot about the regedt32.   ::)

Here's what's listed when I open the key under regedt32:

Code: [Select]
\??\C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt

\??\C:\WINNT\system32\psa3.tmp
!\??\C:\WINNT\system32\psapi.dll

When I closed this view, I received a message that stated that the key couldn't contain empty strings (as shown with the blenk line between the first and second string above).  Think I'll try another reboot now that regedt32 fixed that and see what happens.

Thanks

mrmcctt

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »
Well...I remember reading in another thread that the reboot.txt file should not be in the avast4\setup folder so I removed it and restarted the system.  It again aked for a reboot and when I did a regedt32 there was a blank string back in the key.

It's acying like it wants to put something in the key but isn't being allowed to do so.  I don't have anything running that should block it but I'm not sure. 

mrmcctt

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 04:08:37 PM »
As an update, I downloaded and used the ASWCLEAR software from the Avast website and used it to completely uninstall Avast.  I rebooted the computer, downloaded a new copy of the install program, shut down all unneeded services in Task Manager, did a typical install, followed all prompts and did the requested scan at reboot.

No change to the outcome.  Avast still wants a reboot at every start up.  Also, using the ASWCLEAR didn't seem to clear everything.  The new install of Avast remembered my old password for Avast.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 05:18:10 PM »
According to the registry key, I'd say avast! is trying to update your psapi.dll file (but Windows probably always puts back the original version).
What is the version of that DLL in your system folder?

mrmcctt

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 06:04:07 PM »
The version listed in properties is 4.0.1371.1.  This is in the c:\winnt\system32 folder.  Not splitting hairs, just that you mentioned the system folder and this .dll was found in the system32 folder and I wanted to make sure that was correct.

mrmcctt

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 12:32:12 PM »
The version listed in properties is 4.0.1371.1.  This is in the c:\winnt\system32 folder.  Not splitting hairs, just that you mentioned the system folder and this .dll was found in the system32 folder and I wanted to make sure that was correct.

I guess I should have also asked what  the version number should be.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 12:40:58 PM »

I guess I should have also asked what  the version number should be.

This is the up-to date File version in my C:\Windows\system32 folder
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

mrmcctt

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 03:28:55 PM »
That was it.  I went to driverskit.com and downloaded the .dll with the correct version number and replaced the one on my system with the newer one. 

Bingo!!!  No more reboot requests, no more reboot.txt file and the PendingFileRenameOpertaions key in the registry is not there anymore.

Now I just have to hope that no other program on the system relied on the other .dll solely.

I thank everyone for their help.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:32:02 PM by mrmcctt »