Author Topic: Why did Avast do a scan of the start up programs?  (Read 1924 times)

REDACTED

Why did Avast do a scan of the start up programs?
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:57:38 PM »
Noticed that Avast did a scan of start up programs, never seen this before.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why did Avast do a scan of the start up programs?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
When did it do this ?

e.g. had you just installed this or done a program update on this system.

Do you have the Avast Cleanup component installed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:05:13 AM »
When did it do this ?

e.g. had you just installed this or done a program update on this system.

Do you have the Avast Cleanup component installed ?

I have just updated Avast, but it still want me to restart the system. So I don't know if the update have taken effect yet. I have powered on the PC since the update though. Also, one of the start up programs did have a update ready. I use the free version so I don't know if I have the clean up component installed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:06:54 AM by mkvamm »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:21:15 AM »
A program update ultimately requires a restart in order to change any low level files in use.

As far as not knowing if you have the avast cleanup installed, check the  AvastUI > Settings > Components - that will tell you what components you have installed.

I don't know what you mean by "one of the start up programs did have a update ready." This could be from its own update function (depending on the program, which you don't mention). Or do you mean the avast Software Updater, which monitors programs that are more prone to exploit if not kept up to date. This doesn't necessarily update all startup programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
A program update ultimately requires a restart in order to change any low level files in use.

As far as not knowing if you have the avast cleanup installed, check the  AvastUI > Settings > Components - that will tell you what components you have installed.

I don't know what you mean by "one of the start up programs did have a update ready." This could be from its own update function (depending on the program, which you don't mention). Or do you mean the avast Software Updater, which monitors programs that are more prone to exploit if not kept up to date. This doesn't necessarily update all startup programs.

Yeah, it says that I have Avast Clean up. Also, the update was ready meaning that it just told me about the update.