Author Topic: Avast-Using Skins  (Read 6039 times)

onekool52

Avast-Using Skins
« on: December 14, 2005, 01:41:57 AM »
???  I am using Avast 4.6  home edition, I can down load the skins, but the only way that I can "briefly" use them is if I start a virus scan and then stop it, when I do that the window opens with the "Simple Interface" information and then behind is the avast window using a skin, I can then change skins, but once I close out of the avast window, the skin is gone and it is back to generic.

Is any one else having this problem or is there any one that can help me use the skins full time? :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast-Using Skins
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 01:51:50 AM »
For some reason, ActiveSkin (the 3rd party library avast uses for skinning) does not seem to be working on your system. As a workaround, we may disable skinning in avast - that should solve the problem.

To do that, open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, look up the [UserInterface] section, and add the following entry:
StartWithSkin=0

After that, maybe you should repair your avast installation.
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 01:53:07 AM »
I forgot, if you run ashsimp2.exe that is on the avast folder, will it work and open the skinless application?
Welcome to forums.

onekool52

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:09:19 AM »
I am not sure where to find the <avast>\data\avast4.ini
I am some what computer literate, but not that much.
I have uninstalled Avast and reinstalled it twice, just to see if the skins would work, when it comes up to the installation part where you pick what you want to install, skins is chosen.

None of the skins that I have will stay when I close out Avast.  I have the boxes checked to enable skins. :-[

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 02:17:49 AM »
I am not sure where to find the <avast>\data\avast4.ini
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini

None of the skins that I have will stay when I close out Avast.  I have the boxes checked to enable skins. :-[
What do you mean, the interface disapears?

Did you try just running:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashsimp2.exe

onekool52

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 02:43:07 AM »
The C:\Program File places you gave me, one is a note pad with a bunch of words, and the other does take me to the simple interface, but I can not keep the skin from there.

This is what I found:

Going to "About Avast", there are listings of what is installed,
Under: "Avast Version 4.6 Home Edition" expanded, the "Using ActiveSkin Version 4.2.7.3" has a yellow circle with a 1/2 blue triangle over it.

Under: "Copyright 1988-2005, Alwil Software" expanded, the "ActiveSkin Copyright Softshape Development 2001-2002", also has a yellow circle with a 1/2 blue triangle over it.

I am assuming that these two things are either not installed or they are blocked for some reason.

HELP! ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 12:02:27 PM »
The C:\Program File places you gave me, one is a note pad with a bunch of words
Look, avast4.ini file is a single file, you can search it at Windows Explorer and then open it with Notopad.
Just this. Not that complicated.
You can find further info if you click in the link 'Settings' that you can see at my signature.

I am assuming that these two things are either not installed or they are blocked for some reason.
No. They're ok. The icon has that blue triangle.

tneo

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 08:15:13 AM »
Today I encountered a problem.

I had to re-install my entire Windows XP and therefor I had to re-install Avast as well, but now skins aren't supported anymore. I tried al the steps above without result. The only skin that works is the basic skin.

When I did the re-install I deleted the entire Avast directory, just to be sure. I downloaded the skins again from the website, without any luck. If I check the box to enable skins and try to install one I can't acces Avast Antivirus anymore, by unchecking the box (good thing you can acces the preferences via the system tray :D) I get into Avast again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 03:25:25 PM »
What errors are being displayed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tneo

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »
It is the Windows XP GUI that gives the error message, not Avast itself.

Windows:
Virus scanner has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

More info:
AppName: ashsimpl.exe    AppVer: 4.6.753.0    ModName: itss.dll
ModVer: 5.2.3644.0    Offset: 0001328d

I reinstalled Avast 2 times already and tried the repair function, without succes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 08:48:36 PM »
You shouldn't have to tick a box to enable skins, they are enabled by default.

To select a new skin right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, Select Skin, see images.

Also this may be related to the module itss.dll reported at fault is not a part of avast so there may well be something still wrong with the windows installation, see http://www.auditmypc.com/process/itss.asp. A google search for itss.dll returns many hits.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 08:52:13 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tneo

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 09:37:19 PM »
Also this may be related to the module itss.dll reported at fault is not a part of avast so there may well be something still wrong with the windows installation, see http://www.auditmypc.com/process/itss.asp. A google search for itss.dll returns many hits.
Thanks for the tip about itss.dll, and the solution is a security update from Microsoft, which you can find here on their site.

Sorry I didn't check that out myself, but now it works again :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 10:09:31 PM »
I noticed the MS04-023 Security Bulletin in the google search I did, bt gave you the benefit of the doubt in keeping your OS up to date ;D important to close vulnerabilities also.

Welcome to the forums.