Author Topic: Installed Avast Pro and now certains programs do not work  (Read 3558 times)

jocar

Installed Avast Pro and now certains programs do not work
« on: April 06, 2006, 07:33:03 PM »
I just installed Avast Pro Ver 4 on a computer at work (trial version). I had Norton AV on at the same time.  I removed Norton the next day.  Now my computer is acting strangely. Certain programs do not work correctly on the internet.  I thought that I would do a system restore and go back to before I installed Avast, but when I click on Help and Support, I get an hour glass and then nothing.  I tried to do Start Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, SAME THING!  Si, I am stuck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated....it's my boss's computer.  I did install Avast Pro Ver 4 on my computer at work also and it works fine.  HELP!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Installed Avast Pro and now certains programs do not work
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:49:51 PM »
I'd say it's Norton's fault. That bugger is hard to remove and often breaks stuff when you do manage to remove it...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

jocar

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:51:29 PM »
Any ideas on how I can get around everything and do a system restore?  I thought about starting the system in Safe Mode and doing a restore from a command prompt?????

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 07:52:43 PM »
Norton is notoriously difficult to get rid of and when you try to install avast on the same system as Norton, it usually kicks up a fuss and may not fully install to avoid conflict. Norton gets sooo deeply embedded in your system that this kind of thing have been known to happen in the past.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT, download this utility, run it and reboot. Now uninstall avast, reboot and install avast again.

Unfortunately when you do this with the Pro Trial version the 60 days trial will be much reduced 6-7 days as the act of uninstalling is deemed to have concluded the trial, which is an anti-piracy measure to stop people uninstalling, reinstalling and starting a new 60 days..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jocar

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 02:53:50 AM »
 :DDear David R...Thank you so much for your suggestion.  I attempted to run the SYMNRT from the link you gave me, but it kept encountering an ERROR! So, I decided to UNINSTALL AVAST and REINSTALL Norton.  All of that went very smoothly.  THEN, I went to the link you provided for SYMNRT and attempted to run the tool again - IT WORKED!!!!!  ;D  ;D After the system restarted, I then went to AVAST.COM and installed the Avast Pro again.  Completed perfectly (at least I think so).   EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE UP AND RUNNING!!   NO MORE NORTON NORTON...

Thanks again for the info. Not sure what I'd have had to do if I hadn't signed up with this forum?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
No problem, glad that you stuck with it and have now resolved the problem.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 06:15:53 PM »

Welcome to the forums, jocar.    :)

You will find that this forum is very helpful and friendly.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)