Author Topic: Web shield doesn't abort connection in Firefox web pages  (Read 15856 times)

edeniac

Web shield doesn't abort connection in Firefox web pages
« on: February 05, 2006, 02:35:20 PM »
Hi  ;)

First of all, sorry for my English !  :-[

In Firefox, when I test my web shield with an EICAR file, I’ve got a virus alert (ok)  but I can’t cancel the  “suspicious” download (as in Internet Explorer).
Firefox just suggests me to download the file ! I want to be sure that any suspicious download can be really intercepted and canceled by Avast !
How to do this ?  ???

No problem in Internet Explorer or "Avant browser"...  :-\

My configuration :
Firefox 1.5.0.1 (french), Avast 4.6.763, Zone Alarm FREE 6.1.737.000 (french version)
Windows XP SP2
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:56:11 PM by edeniac »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web shield doesn't cancel connection in Firefox web pages
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 03:26:12 PM »
It can and does work with firefox, for me for sure.

Are you trying to download the eicar file using the https: secure protocol if so then that is encrypted and can't be scanned, not to mention avast's Web Shield only monitors the Http protocol (port 80).

Try these http: links:
Web Shield Test
http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

NOD32 - JPEG Exploit
http://www.nod32.de/download/jpegcompoc.jpg http://www.nod32.de/download/jpegcompoc.zip

You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

edeniac

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 03:51:52 PM »
thanks for your reply

I tried to download from your links but I've the same problem ! :o

I know Avast's Web shield works with Firefox... On another Home PC (with same version of firefox, XP SP2 and same version of Avast), it works very well !

Even uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox...web shield doesn't cancel connexion...

So, what is the problem ? Firewall settings (ZA) ? My Firefox settings on this PC ? :-\
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:01:12 PM by edeniac »

edeniac

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 03:58:22 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:02:42 PM by edeniac »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 04:27:20 PM »
Are you sure that web shield is monitoring http traffic in firefox.

Does the avast 'a' icon rotate when you browse a new page in firefox?
Does the Scanned Count increase (view the on-access provider screen)?

If not firefox isn't monitored, which could be because you have disabled avast's transparent proxy for Web Shield because you were unsure of what choice you should make for avast and Zone Alarm.

http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

ZONE ALARM - AVAST Web Shield compatibility dialogue - Install/Update Question - YES or NO

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

edeniac

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 09:25:55 AM »
:)

Yes I'm sure that Web shield is monitoring web traffic : I can see the last pages scanned by avast in the web shield screen (last one : this forum web page). Web shield does its job, except canceling connection when required !
I have Zone alarm free and no problem between ZA and Avast... except this boring little defect since installing Firefox on this PC.  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 03:30:04 PM »
Web shield does its job, except canceling connection when required !
I have Zone alarm free and no problem between ZA and Avast... except this boring little defect since installing Firefox on this PC.  :-\

Are you talking about the Abort Connection here ?
If you are then the only connection that is aborted is the element that was downloading the infected content and not your internet connection. So you should remain connected.

So lets go back a step to your original post.

In Firefox, when I test my web shield with an EICAR file, I’ve got a virus alert (ok)  but I can’t cancel the  “suspicious” download (as in Internet Explorer).
Firefox just suggests me to download the file ! I want to be sure that any suspicious download can be really intercepted and canceled by Avast !

Don't try and download the file, just click on the link (the ones I gave) as if it were an normal link, this should trigger the web shield alert and give the option to abort the connection, see the images below when I clicked the link.

By trying to download them you are not browsing as such and that is what the web shield scans detects, http traffic, so the tests above simulate browsing and clicking on a link that has malicious content.

edeniac

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 07:46:29 PM »
Yes I'm talking about the window with the option "abort connection" (to the web page). About the screenshots :

Like you, I can see this window (the Web shield's alert ), but when I click on the button "abort connection", I don't have the Firefox's message "The connection to the server was reset...". Then Firefox suggests me to download the file.
Here is my problem !!

On my other PC, I dont' have this problem with Firefox and Avast (the Firefox's message "The connection to the server was reset" appears normally).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:53:01 PM by edeniac »

edeniac

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 07:48:12 PM »
 :-\ For more information, few screenshots :

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 08:12:17 PM by edeniac »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 08:25:54 PM »
Then there is something wrong with your current installation if it is working as expected in your other PC and in mine.

Are you trying to download it, or simply click or double click the link ?
It may be that your firefox Download settings are set to automatically download .com files, see image.

If not all I can suggest is that you do clean reinstall of firefox.

edeniac

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 08:56:17 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply !  ;)

I simply clicked the link you gave me. I made the test from other links too, but unsuccessfully...

The . com files are not set at all to be downloaded by firefox's download manager... I will try again to uninstall and reinstall Firefox , after a register cleaning... We'll see...

Thanks for your help...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:57:59 PM by edeniac »

edeniac

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 08:55:43 PM »
  >:( No matter what I do (uninstalling, cleaning, reinstalling), my problem is still here !

I don't understand why...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web shield doesn't abort connection in Firefox web pages
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 09:04:24 PM »
I'm sorry, I can't understand it either.

edeniac

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 12:19:13 PM »
Thanks for your contribution, DavidR... ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 03:46:34 PM »
Your welcome, only sorry we couldn't get to the bottom of it.