Author Topic: Web shield doesn't abort connection in Firefox web pages  (Read 15855 times)

emy80

Re: Web shield doesn't abort connection in Firefox web pages
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 01:52:47 PM »
Hi! I have the same problem.  :'( Fortunately it was just the eicar file. But what if it will be something serious? Is there something wrong with Avast? Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 02:02:44 PM »
Hi! I have the same problem.  :'( Fortunately it was just the eicar file. But what if it will be something serious? Is there something wrong with Avast? Thanks.
Which eicar link dit you start to download?
The best things in life are free.

emy80

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 02:11:07 PM »
Which eicar link dit you start to download?

err...is this a crosspost? anyway I tried donloading from "Download area using the standard protocol http" the eicar.com link. As i said as long as Web Shield keeps scanning the pages and giving out warning I can be sure to take the best action. in this case abort the download. As for the download I just clicked on the link. not right click and save as... one.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 02:20:31 PM »
"Download area using the standard protocol http" the eicar.com link.
I've tried right now and get this. The second shows that WebShield blocked the page...
No download started.
The best things in life are free.

emy80

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 02:25:49 PM »
for me it didn't worked again. All the same. i tried blocking the eicar.org site with the URL block and that worked. i got the window with the Avst message saying that the page was blocked by Avast. So it's just the download. I'm confused. Well.....as long as Web Shield and Avast Standard protection are ok I will not be too concerned. Maybe it' a compatibility issue with Avast and firefox. Who knows? Thanks for the kind help.

emy80

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 02:39:37 PM »
Here is what i got:
First screenshot of the site: i clicked on the link
Second scrennshot: Avast gave me the warning and I clicked on Abort Connection
Third screenshot: I got the download window anyway
Fourth scrennshot: Avst Web Shield registered the infected page

emy80

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »
the oethr two screenshots

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 02:42:08 PM »
 Firefox and Webshield have done the job no download allowed here however like Tech I use a download manager and my FF Option settings are sightly different to the settings  Davidr Posted.
I'm using the Flashgot FF extension with Free Download Manager( Link in General Forum Updates section) This is the option settings I use (See image) hope this helps
people having problems with webshield using Arovax Shield??

Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

emy80

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »
Firefox and Webshield have done the job no download allowed here however like Tech I use a download manager and my FF Option settings are sightly different to the settings  Davidr Posted.
I'm using the Flashgot FF extension with Free Download Manager( Link in General Forum Updates section) This is the option settings I use (See image) hope this helps
people having problems with webshield using Arovax Shield??

do you mean I should get this flashgot extension? If both you and tech got the server error wanring while you have this extension then the problem is firefox itself. Shouldn't be Avast able to block it with a normal FF? Well...if this is the solution I'll try it. but I hope Avast will really be able to block the download. i'll try now and let you know. thanks!

emy80

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2006, 02:55:46 PM »
tried fashgot. And with the same setting you showed me. nope. i just blocked the page. Thanks for the help anyway.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 02:59:51 PM »
I'm sure the Flashgot extension is useful Only if you use/have a download manager? I'm not saying
that this will solve the problem, I'm just pointing out that Webshield works fine with my FF
configuration using Flashgot and FDM
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 03:08:46 PM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Jarmo P

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »
Emy, i don't have flashgot  ....  though i have read about that extension.

But about you getting download offer after an *abort connection* message, I wish someone would be able to answer.
That does not need any browser extension or any such thing.

Must be something in your computer.
You did have some security apps more than me :P

EDIT
If this was some common problem all are suffering. Webshield finding some and you still get asked. I am SURE it would have been posted hre many times.
So emy, something is sure wrong with your antivirus setup.
Even I poor soul running Sygate firewall with it having a quite negative impact on outbound control with avast webshield proxy have always found Avast working fine for me
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 03:14:04 PM by Jarmo P »

emy80

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 03:10:07 PM »
I'm sure the Flashgot extension is useful Only if you use/have a download manager? I'm not saying
that this will solve the problem, I'm just pointing out that Webshield works fine with my FF
configuration using Flashgot and FDM

Well.....I blocked that page. As long as i can abort manually and Web Shield warns me it's ok. thanks for the help.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 03:12:27 PM »
Are you using Arovax shield ?

emy80

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »
Are you using Arovax shield ?

err...I don't even know what's that.