Author Topic: Avast icon - system tray - startup  (Read 9194 times)

Rexcard

Avast icon - system tray - startup
« on: December 07, 2003, 03:49:01 PM »
I replaced my AVG anti-virus with Avast yesterday.  One thing I've noticed is that the blue "a" icon doesn't appear automatically in the system tray at startup.  The processes ASHSERV.exe and ASHMAISV.EXE seem to be running at startup, but it would be more convenient and reassuring to see the icon in the system tray also.  Could somebody help me out with this?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 03:32:19 AM by Rexcard »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Avast icon - system tray - startup
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 05:15:17 PM »
What operating system are you using?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Leif

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 07:57:25 PM »
Hi,

I have the same problem, after replacing Norton Antivirus with Avast 4 Home. It doesn't show the avst icon in the system tray.

I'm running Windows XP Home edition on a Dell Dimension 2350.

Before I installed Avast the Norton antivirus was damaged by an trojan virus. Could this have something to do with why it is not visible?

Looking forward to a solution to this......

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 02:35:19 AM »
Hi,
I have the same problem, after replacing Norton Antivirus with Avast 4 Home. It doesn't show the avst icon in the system tray.
Looking forward to a solution to this......

Oooohhh, noooooo.... Norton again!!! Get away from it!!! Do not install more than one antivirus program (resident). Norton is the monster of the monsters... Never gets out of the registry... unless a lot of work can be done... But be happy, I´m here because I get rid from Norton, after Vlk and Kubecj precious help, lot of lost hours... But I´m here, I´m avast! To get rid from Norton is one of the most difficult things in the earth!
The main reason installation fails or systems freeze when using new AV programs is the inablility of the old ones to uninstall properly. I have had to dig up removal tools for Norton before anything would operate properly. This is not an avast issue, Kaspersky, McAfee and even Grisoft (e-mail plugin) have their own unique uninstall issues as well.

Take a deep breath and go to the Norton desinstalation sage!.  8) Wellcome to avast both of you  ;D

Rexcard, I used AVG anti-virus and replaced it with Avast like you. Maybe you have to clean your registry and do a reinstallation of avast. But, first, answer Vlk...
The best things in life are free.

Rexcard

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 02:56:00 AM »
Hi Vlk. I'm using Windows 98.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 03:00:59 AM »

Rexcard, did you still have problems?
I had AVG in Windows 98 and XP, I desinstall, boot, and have to clean the registry for 'trash' keys left behind... I used the jv16PowerTools (unfortunatelly, it´s a shareware now). See links here.

After that, avast! runs smoothy on my computers...  ;)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 06:44:06 AM »
Hi Rexcard,

That link Technical gave you (re the JV16, which is a great utility by the way) is a 4-pager with all kinds of goodies.  If you check about halfway down page 4 there, I'd posted info on retrieving a ZIP of the last freeware version from a friend's site at Geocities.  It's a hassle to download (GC is very stingy with bandwidth, apparently) but well worth it if you're willing to maybe have to try a few times.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Leif

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 08:04:25 PM »
Hi again,

Thanx for the assistance I managed to clean out the Norton stuff after following some of your advice and also using the advice in Document  "How to manually uninstall Norton SystemWorks 2002, 2003, or 2004 from Windows XP" ID 2001091013435207 on Symantecs website.

After doing that I had to manually execute the ashDisp.exe in the Avast folder in Program folder (I'm running the swedish version).

Now the icon is in place in the system tray :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 08:05:28 PM by Leif »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 08:09:24 PM »
Hi again,

Thanx for the assistance I managed to clean out the Norton stuff after following some of your advice and also using the advice in Document  "How to manually uninstall Norton SystemWorks 2002, 2003, or 2004 from Windows XP" ID 2001091013435207 on Symantecs website.

After doing that I had to manually execute the ashDisp.exe in the Avast folder in Program folder (I'm running the swedish version).

Now the icon is in place in the system tray :D

Very happy with your success  8)

Rexcard

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 12:23:39 AM »

Rexcard, did you still have problems?
I had AVG in Windows 98 and XP, I desinstall, boot, and have to clean the registry for 'trash' keys left behind... I used the jv16PowerTools (unfortunatelly, it´s a shareware now). See links here.

After that, avast! runs smoothy on my computers...  ;)

Hello,
I followed your advice, and the icon is working again.  Thanks for your help.