Author Topic: automatic repair and user settings.  (Read 1954 times)

Offline davexnet

• Poster
automatic repair and user settings.
« on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:02 AM »
Every now again, through  some glitch  usually after a system restart, avast will detect something wrong
and do an automatic repair.  So far so good.

I've been running version 2245 in Windows 7 for a few months with no problems at all.
When I install I opt out of the two items in the privacy options, I set program update to manual,
and I turn off the icon animation.

When avast does it's repair, all of the options I set above are put back to default. The first clue, of course,
is that the icon is animated again.  The second thing avast does by itself is automatically install the latest version.

Since it all happens so quick there is no time to stop it.

Now I have to uninstall, run avastclear, and reinstall the older version. 

I would propose that when when avast does it's automatic repair it leaves the user setting alone.  This is an
incredible aggravation.

Secondly, the manual setting should be respected unless the user provides some in input.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:03:21 AM by davexnet »
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: automatic repair and user settings.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 01:02:16 AM »
A repair should reset the settings to default because it can be that one of the settings that is changed is causing "the problem".
There is a reason why you can backup and later import the settings.

version 2245
Time to update to the latest version.
It doesn't matter to what you set for updates, if avast rolls out a pushed update it will happen.

Besides that, you and almost all other users are not realizing that updates take often place along with a vps update.
The version number of avast does not change, but there are updates (micro updates).

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:06:33 AM »
Eddy, I understand your position, you want to push users along to 2280, etc,etc.

OK - if a repair *must" put the settings to default -  Under these circumstances the product should not
automatically update with out some user input.  I don't want 2280, I'll decide when it's necessary.

This is a forced update through a repair back door.

I did have the settings backed up, the settings for 2245.  In its "repair" and update, where do I get the chance to use
those old settings now?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:14:53 AM by davexnet »
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:24:46 AM »
No, I do not want to push user to any version.
I'm just explaining how it works.

The only place where I still have something from avast installed is in a VM and I'm too lazy a.t.m. to start it and look, but I guess the option to export/import settings is still somewhere in the GUI.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 06:05:35 PM »
Yes the setting is still there.  But now, I have to uninstall the new version, run avastclear, reinstall the older version,
*then* I can restore my settings.

It's curious that if you do a manual install, most of the users settings are preserved (except I noticed it turns the
privacy "participate" options back on.  Shameful)

This repair that I'm talking about,  was initiated by avast itself, giving me no time to abort the update to the new version.
There must be a better way.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3