Author Topic: Avast Free and W10 Cumulative Updates  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Free and W10 Cumulative Updates
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
The strange spelling/character could have been a glitch, but it is something to keep an eye on.
It can be a one time thing, but also can indicate a (yet unknown?) problem.

I would say give the tweaking.com tool a try.
As it basically just restore certain default settings, it wouldn't hurt.
The tool is mentioned by some of us, but only on rare occasions as it is often not needed to run it.

The media creation tool can be used to install (likely also repair) Windows 10 as well as to download a Windows 10 ISO that can be used to install Windows 10 on any system.
As Microsoft has changed their policy about upgrading to Windows 10 a few times the last months, I don't know if you still can install it and use your Windows 7 license to activate it though.

Offline nalo89

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
Hello Eddy, after trying every script, tips, cab files, registry cleanup and all appertaining fixes to W10 not updating cumulative updates I decided today to try the MS Media Creation Tool. As it appears that if one already has a version of W10 on their system the tool gives a choice of installing an update or making a W10 copy onto a USB etc for installing on another computer. I ticked the UPDATE and KEEP MY OWN FILES boxes and the result is that Winver is now 14393.321 and on the final restart all the icons that were selected to appear on the task bar did so. I did a power down and boot up again and searched for further updates. This resulted in Flash Player KB3194343 and Windows update KB3199209 (both not requiring restart) being installed so problem resolved.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »
Yeah, sometimes I have a good idea.
But please don't tell anyone or they all will be asking me to help them. ;D

Offline nalo89

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 06:06:02 PM »
Eddy, you are brill mate. I did not see your tip on any other forum so thank you. The computer is my wife's and the latest cumulative update was referred to in Belarc as being a critical update.