Author Topic: Can I exclude paths from Real-Time Protection?  (Read 4013 times)

Thomas123

Can I exclude paths from Real-Time Protection?
« on: February 04, 2006, 04:18:32 AM »
I am using the lastest version of avast! Home Edition. It works fine for me.  :) But I have a question. I do not want avast! to scan my startup objects. How can I configure avast! to do this?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can I exclude paths from Real-Time Protection?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 08:41:16 PM »
You can add specific paths or files to the list of Standard Shield exclusions (last page of Standard Shield configuration) - but it may be hard to exclude "your startup files", as they are probably scattered through various places of your disk.

Thomas123

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 11:52:12 PM »
You can add specific paths or files to the list of Standard Shield exclusions (last page of Standard Shield configuration) - but it may be hard to exclude "your startup files", as they are probably scattered through various places of your disk.

Thanks for your reply, Igor.  :D

I just added the objects I wanted to exclude from Real-time Protection. But I am not sure if the formatting is correct. Here is my formatting for the exclusion lists.

E:\Program Files\Agnitum
E:\Program Files\Alwil Software

Does that look okay? I also want to know how to configure avast! not to scan subfolders.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 12:33:38 AM »
You'll have to enter the full mask, e.g.
E:\Program Files\Agnitum\*

Note, however, that by excluding the paths you create a "hole" where viruses may (theoretically) hide. If, for example, some of the programs got infected by a file infector, avast! wouldn't detect it.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 01:01:15 AM »
By excluding the Agnitum folder I assume you have Outpost Pro? That however, won't stop outpost pro accessing files that are outside the agnitum folder.

Outpost pro is a real file accessing hog on boot and by far the best thing you can do it to have Standard Shied set at Normal not High. It also comes with an anti-spyware plug-in, that accesses in excess of 1000 files on boot (tested on my system) so the plug-in was disabled. I have AdAware (and others) which the Outpost pro anti-spyware plug-in is based on, so I hardly need it twice (and this one resident).

I don't know what you are trying to achieve by excluding the Alwil folder ?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 01:03:00 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Thomas123

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:09:46 AM »
You'll have to enter the full mask, e.g.
E:\Program Files\Agnitum\*

Note, however, that by excluding the paths you create a "hole" where viruses may (theoretically) hide. If, for example, some of the programs got infected by a file infector, avast! wouldn't detect it.

Thanks for you reply, Igor. I do not think Agnitum's folder will be infected by malware.

Thomas123

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 08:15:25 AM »
By excluding the Agnitum folder I assume you have Outpost Pro? That however, won't stop outpost pro accessing files that are outside the agnitum folder.

Outpost pro is a real file accessing hog on boot and by far the best thing you can do it to have Standard Shied set at Normal not High. It also comes with an anti-spyware plug-in, that accesses in excess of 1000 files on boot (tested on my system) so the plug-in was disabled. I have AdAware (and others) which the Outpost pro anti-spyware plug-in is based on, so I hardly need it twice (and this one resident).

I don't know what you are trying to achieve by excluding the Alwil folder ?

David, after reading what you said, I think I will disable the anti-spyware plug-in because I have felt a little performance downgrade after installing Outpost Firewall 3. I exclude the Alwil folder because I think avast! scans itself.  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
Well you can do tests, with and without the exclusion of the alwil folder and see what the Scanned Count: is after boot, that is the best way to test. Do the same with Standard Shield set to High and Normal (with and without the exclusion of the alwil folder) then you will see any difference and by far the best solution for performance V Protection is having Standard Shield set to Normal (the default option).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Thomas123

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 03:56:52 PM »
Thank you. I will try it later.  :)