Author Topic: [Rescue Disk] Support WinPE 5.0 (e.g. Windows 8.1 based ADK)  (Read 1405 times)

REDACTED

[Rescue Disk] Support WinPE 5.0 (e.g. Windows 8.1 based ADK)
« on: October 18, 2016, 04:53:16 AM »
Good day.

I'm having an issue with Avast creating the rescue disk - It absolutely *needs* WinPE 4.0, which is impossible for me, since I install WinPE 5.0 for myself on the PC and the installer removes WinPE 4.0. I am asking Avast to support WinPE 5.0 some time in the future please.

Here is the story of all my testing:

• Install latest AVAST with Rescue Disk option.
  • Create Rescue Disk -> Avast downloads WinPE 4.0 (ADK 8.0) and creates rescue disk fine.
  • I install WAIK (WinPE 3.1) -> Avast still uses WinPE 4.0 to create valid rescue disks.
  • I Install WinPE 5.0 (ADK 8.1) -> The installer removes WinPE 4.0 automatically.
  • Create Rescue Disk with Avast -> Since WinPE 4.0 is no longer there, Avast tries to create the rescure disk using WAIK. This disk will fail once booted.
  • UnInstall WAIK and Create Rescue Disk with Avast -> Avast will ignore WinPE 5.0 and will download WinPE 4.0 (ADK 8.0) but WinPE 4.0 will silently FAIL to install, and now Avast can no longer create any rescue disks.

It seems there is some "legacy" code in Avast : If it cannot find WinPE 4.0 but finds WAIK, it uses the later to create the rescue disk. Unfortunately, the WAIK disk fails, it boots-up to the desktop but no command prompt appears to run Avast itself and it reboots 15 seconds later. I realize the number of people who actually install WinPE (WAIK/ADK) for themselves is small, but it would be nice if Avast was working for these people (me).

Thank you.
Best Regards,
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:55:09 AM by B00ze »

REDACTED

Re: [Rescue Disk] Support WinPE 5.0 (e.g. Windows 8.1 based ADK)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 04:12:52 AM »
This has been fixed in the latest/newer Avast, Thank you!