Author Topic: Ad-Aware SE causing virus alerts.  (Read 4170 times)

JimTheMuso

Ad-Aware SE causing virus alerts.
« on: February 06, 2006, 08:57:53 PM »
Hi,
Every time I run Ad-Aware Se, part the way through the scan Avast gives me alerts. I move the files to the chest and delete them. If I run Ad-Aware again immediately the same thing occurs although the named virus may be different each time. Examples are: BlackBox.class, Beyond,Class, Dummy.class, VerifierBug.class and others. Although the names may be different each time there are always 8 in varying groups of about 4 classes. They are always in the Temp directory. If I scan Ad-Aware itself it comes up clean but this is obviously something which is triggered by it and happens every time. It has only started in the last week or so. I haven't taken it up with Lavasoft yet - I thought I would ask here first.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Ad-Aware SE causing virus alerts.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:13:56 PM »
They might be signatures added to avast! recently (so, they may already be on your disk). When you run Ad-aware scan, it "touches" (= reads) the files, which triggers avast! resident protection alert.

JimTheMuso

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:53:30 PM »
Yes, I think you are right. I can't find any way to stop it though apart from disabling resident protection.

galooma

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:36:22 AM »
does it make any difference if you clean out your temp files prior to running ad-aware?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:42:20 AM »
I always pause standard shield when running any other security scan to avoid this very issue. Not only does it avoid any conflict, detection (false positive or otherwise) from unpacking files or signature files, but it also speeds the overall scan duration because files aren't being double scanned as Igor mentions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JimTheMuso

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 11:53:20 AM »
Yes, makes sense DavidR. That's what I will do from now on. Exhaustive testing shows me that the directory where they are stored (Temp/AAW something or other) is only created when I run Ad-Aware so is obviously nothing to worry about. Thanks for help guys.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »
That temp location is where adaware unpacks stuff, etc. that act, the creation of a new file is what is likely to kick of avast's scan and if there is an infection/signatures involved then avast will alarm. As you correctly say once adaware is done the temp folder is removed.

There is another thread that suggests you should also empty your JAVA cache. Ensure you have the latest version of JRE because older versions can be vulnerable to malware. First remove ALL OLDER VERSIONS FROM ADD/REMOVE.

Then get the latest update from here http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security