Author Topic: Is it safe to add SearchIndexer.exe to exclusions?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Arthur Gibraltar

Is it safe to add SearchIndexer.exe to exclusions?
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:29:35 AM »
I noticed that, if avast! is scanning all the files, if Search Indexer is running, disk usage goes to 100% all the time sometimes. Then I added it (three Search Indexer executables from Windows folder) to avast! exclusions (Read only, not Write or Execution) and my system is much more reliable and fast.

What intrigues me is: will it allow a virus to come through search indexer? Sorry if this question is dumb, but I need to understand what I'm doing.

I mean, Search Indexer will read files and avast! will ignore it, but it's OK because just reading won't do much harm and if something wrong happens and corrupt Search Indexer, avast! will still try to scan its executions or writes to repair it. Is it right?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Is it safe to add SearchIndexer.exe to exclusions?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:54:19 AM »

Offline Arthur Gibraltar

Re: Is it safe to add SearchIndexer.exe to exclusions?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:56:19 PM »
If it is about the memory/cpu usage, simply disable it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28450/what-is-searchindexer.exe-and-why-is-it-running/

I disabled it and the Disk usage went down from 99% to 10%. But I'd like to keep search indexer up and running. Is it safe to add it to avast! exclusions?

I was paranoid with security some time ago and I installed avast! with COMODO Firewall with Defense+. They were ok together. But as I have OCD, I installed Microsoft's EMET and my system froze many times until I had to do a factory reset.

avast! and COMODO are ok, but nothing more can be added. I did a lot of forced reboots, and I was afraid my NTFS disk had got corrupted. But I did a CheckDisk scan and no errors were found: is this result reliable? Or my high disk usage may still be related to disk's health?

While I was writing this, 8% Disk usage only. I think SearchIndexer uses too much resources.