Author Topic: Ashserve.exe 100% CPU Usage  (Read 62246 times)

FreezyLocc

Re: Ashserve.exe 100% CPU Usage
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »
and ive already checked.. no pio here ..
My hard drives are also set at DMA, not PIO, before anyone asks. Plain, simple IDE drives, none of this fancy SATA stuff LOL.
Apparently nobody wants to run Process Explorer to look at the hardware interrupt process time.

i ran it the first time i read your post...

Kyosuke

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 02:08:18 PM »
I'm getting the same error but with 43% CPU Spikes. If i kill the process my comp is back to normal again. I use to get the same problem awhile ago, not all the time though, it randomly happens. I've just recently upgraded my comp and reformatted the old harddrive and it was working normal for the first week or so, then started getting the CPU Spikes back. I have been using Avast! for about 2years now and only first started noticing this problem late last year.

The last scanned file at the moment is a irc log file.

Im currently only using windows firewall. Running Windows XP Media Center sp2. The only other programs iv installed since the reformat on this computer is Spybot - Search and Destroy and Adaware, not sure if they have any problems with avast!.

???

**EDIT**
Seem to have found a solution for my comp, it seems ashServ.exe only spikes the CPU when its scanning a relatively large .log file, I noticed someone earlier mentioning how they changed their .log file name, instead i've moved all my irc log files onto an external hdd and there doesnt seem to be anymore problems for now. Hope this helps.  :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 02:54:11 PM by Kyosuke »

CharleyO

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 06:28:46 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Kyosuke.     :)

Thank you for posting and editing in a solution to your problem. Hopefully, this will help some of the others with this similar problem.

I have used Ad-Aware & SpyBot for years without either one having a conflict and in the now more 2 years of Avast use, no conflict at all.

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)

Kyosuke

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2006, 07:03:09 PM »
Thanks  ;D Always glad to help out. Hopefully in future updates avast! can be tweaked to scan these files without anymore issues (assuming that it just isnt my comp)  :D

robbyn

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2006, 03:52:32 PM »
I too had problems with logs causing high cpu useage via ashserv. As a result of the advice in the thread I have curred the problem.

I suggest that a counter be put into avast and that if the same file is continuously being scanned a popup asks if the user wants to put this automatically in an exclusion list.

Robin

CharleyO

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2006, 08:19:27 PM »

Welcome to the forums, robbyn.    :)

We are glad that you were able to find help here for your problem.

If you have not already done so, you might want to post your suggestion in this thread of the forums ......

New features for the next major avast! release [WISHLIST] http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12640.405

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)

mikeseven

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2006, 03:10:36 AM »
I'm also having issues with P2P Shield when running emule, bittorent or uTorrent.
I terminated P2P Shield and now my CPU is back to normal and my downloads are also more steady ;-)

I haven't seen this bug before so I would think it is due a relatively recent update.

Note: I'm on XP latest SP and updates, all disks are UDMA and SATA running full speed. There is no particularly high interupts reported by Process Explorer.

Avast folks, can you update P2P Shield and have it working correctly!!!! I hate having P2P shield off ;-(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2006, 04:04:47 AM »
I haven't seen this bug before
Why are you calling it bug?
Are you sure you're not downloading infected items?
The best things in life are free.

BlazJ

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2006, 08:30:46 PM »
Hello to all.

I would like to report an occurence of ashserv.exe having spikes of high usage when using the Mozilla email client.
On a clean WinXP system (AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 1GB RAM) with Mozilla Thunderbird or Seamonkey Project e-mail client, with junk mail filters turned on or off, every Avast scanning operation runs fine, doesn't hog the system abnormally. But after an Avast upgrade some months ago, I noticed that junk mail filtering and normal opening of email messages got considerably slower, invoking a 1-3 second pause before loading the body of the message (even text with no images). Deleting and sorting messages also got less responsive. The task manager showed ashserv.exe having short spikes of 90-100% CPU usage when opening a message in the e-mail client.

After reading this thread, I turned the sensitivity of the standard shield from High to Normal and now, things seem to run fine - emails load almost immediately. I'll post an update if this proves wrong. What interests me is, what have I "lost" in scanning effectiveness with this change of settings and if there is another way of doing it better.

Thanks!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2006, 09:34:17 PM »
See this post - you may well have the same issue:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23424.msg194826#msg194826

BlazJ

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 07:34:56 AM »
See this post - you may well have the same issue:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23424.msg194826#msg194826
Indeed. I have noticed with the On-access scanner, that Avast scans the whole Thunderbird/Seamonkey mailbox file, but I never thought that with the High sensitivity setting, it unpacks it in its whole for EVERY single message I view. How my Avast settings got to High, I can't say. :), but Normal, as chocholo reports in the thread above, is just fine, High is reserved for suspicious infections.

I knew about the "deleting" of emails, but I forgot to compact the mailboxes regulary. Thanks for the reminder, alanrf.

My problems with Avast/Thunderbird-Seamonkey have been resolved. -.-

leithant

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2006, 01:58:54 AM »
Hi There

I too have used Avast since I was born, and have just started getting 80-90% CPU with ashserv and tracked down to the p2p shield whilst downloading with uTorrent. Have tried your suggestions with no luck! What else can I do?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2006, 03:05:47 AM »
I too have used Avast since I was born, and have just started getting 80-90% CPU with ashserv and tracked down to the p2p shield whilst downloading with uTorrent. Have tried your suggestions with no luck! What else can I do?
Are you using the last avast version?
uTorrent was already removed of the 'mail application' scanned by Internet Mail provider and due to high CPU usages...
So, something is strange in your computer...
The best things in life are free.

leithant

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2006, 06:15:46 AM »
Yes everything is up to date. The file resume.dat may have been the one it was getting stuck on....I think... ???

Offline DjShell

• Brasil!
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2006, 04:34:10 PM »
I have the same problem. I'm using the last version of Avast and uTorrent.

Sometimes my CPU usage goes to 100% and everything stops.

I'm reading the topics about this issue, but couldn't find any solution until now.

I like both programs, they're lightweight for my old computer, and don't want to change any of them.

But if this continues...