Author Topic: Ashserve.exe 100% CPU Usage  (Read 62135 times)

tripper

Re: Ashserve.exe 100% CPU Usage
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2006, 05:36:16 AM »
hi guys hope this will help, im using avast home & i  got the same problem, i finally found the culprit that's causing my avast jam up my usage. in my case it was a particular torrent that i was downloading using utorrent, so i disable that torrent & everything went back to normal. i also notice that it only happened after I updated my virus base.

hmmmm problem solved but wondering why this happened..............anyone?

leithant

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2006, 06:01:07 AM »
same here - only happened on one particular torrent....so far!

CrazyRobban

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2007, 11:47:50 PM »
Though this being over 20 days old, I want to confirm just once more
that stopping P2P shield cures the problem, when using Utorrent and Avast.

Thanks. Without this thread I would still be cursing about the cpu peak.

//Robert

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2007, 03:15:39 AM »
Stopping P2P shield cures the problem
It does not cure the problem... it just take out the symptoms of the problem...
Maybe you can search the board for utorrent and try to exclude just the particular torrent that is bringing trouble, scanning it as soon as it finished and before running or executing it.
The best things in life are free.

antimix

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »
Hi,

today I noticed that my machine started to stop/start Winamp while I was listening music, the cursor was irresponsive on clicking, music slowed down and become intermittent (!!!) and CTRL-ALT-DEL have no taskman window for about 8 seconds. Then I saw that the CPU was 100% ??? used by Ashserve. It continued in this way for several minutes, forcing also some application to crash.

I looked on Google and I found that this seems a rather common problem, and that people does not have very clear ideas on the causes.  But why it happened so suddenly to me ?

MY ANALYSIS:

- yesterday I have done the avast! Program Update (now 4.0 Build 4.8.1229 - Xtreme Toolkit 1.9.4.0)  ;)
- I was DOWNLOADING with GetRight Pro 6.3e some files from Microsoft.com in multipart mode.

I have always used getright with avast in the past and I had no big problems.  But this time I was downloading a file of about 1GB...

I noticed that in the hang-up specific moment Getright said “99% completed” on the status bar; this means that Getright was copying and merging the multipart pieces to create the full 1GB file, and of course the poor avast was desperately trying to REALTIME scan & protect what Getright is writing; I could imagine that saving a 1GB .MSI (that in addition is considered an executable  :o not a static file as a MPG AVI ZIP....) force avast to deeply scan the whole 1GB file at high System realtime priority .... and of course this take the 100% of CPU and everything hang-up until the whole 1GB SCAN is complete. I think that to do the things worse Getright try to do the copy-merge using high system priority.

So I think that nowadays whoever downloads big files, especially if they are considered potentially dangerous by avast, will have this problem when avast will deeply realtime scan a file of 1 or 4 GB !!!! :o
Note that it should happens ONLY if the people use downloaders capable of multipart-split mode, because during the normal download avast should be able to realtime scan the multipart files written (avast is faster than internet) but at the end there is the multipart merge to the BIG ONE and avast is upset !!!!

Dear avast Team,

- is my analysis correct ?

I had the same problem on my PC dedicated to VIDEO production, and I config avast to ignore MPG,AVI,IMG,ISO,NRG,MP2,WMV and all other multimedia files. That solved the problem and Pinnacle run smoothly while avast stopped to realtime scan GIGA AVI created by Pinnacle.

- how can be solved the issue of downloading GIGA files with Realtime protection on in multipart?

Till today it was not very common copying and saving 4GB files, but now (epecially with people that have P2P dedicated machines) this IS VERY common!
In addition big .MSI files increase the problem since they are considered executable.

I do not have an answer at the moment, what do you suggest ?

Cheers

antimix

avastce

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2008, 07:10:50 PM »
I was getting ashserv.exe cycling between about 30 and 95% of CPU.  The problem turns out to be on an IBM T40 an HTML log file maintained by the internet connection, getting continually rescanned. I excluded the file and now it works well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2008, 07:28:17 PM »
I was getting ashserv.exe cycling between about 30 and 95% of CPU.  The problem turns out to be on an IBM T40 an HTML log file maintained by the internet connection, getting continually rescanned. I excluded the file and now it works well.
Well... you've find the solution. Welcome to avast forums.
But, it will be good to know which is your Standard Shield security level, High or Normal?
The best things in life are free.