Author Topic: Help, I downloaded the new update and now email scanner dont work!  (Read 6697 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help, I downloaded the new update and now email scanner dont work!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 03:44:56 PM »
I can add an account into my email from yahoo and it come's in fine. But when I change the incoming to 127.0.0.1 it wont work.

Thanks for the welcome and yep I figured it out! I do have the paid yahoo and the incoming and outgoing has to be left the way it normally is and when I downloaded the new update it changed it to 127.0.0.1. I have been using avast for years! I tried Norton and had WAY too many problems! I love avast!!Thanks! Chrissy

With XP the email scanning is transparent and there should be no need to use the 127.0.0.1 setting in your email server settings, that is one of the reasons there is no sign of the mail protection Wizard in the Start, programs list.

When I look at my OE email account settings, everything is as it would be if avast wasn't there, e.g. no changes.
I can't see how the update would change these settings, assuming your still using XP. The only thing I can think of is your firewall (you didn't say what it is) could somehow be blocking, but if it is allowing in one email account and not the other, that is strange.

Also what is your email program ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 11:00:57 PM »
David,

I found Chrissypa's post a little confusing. 

It was not clear if there is real POP3 access to a Yahoo account in which case, as you note, 127.0.0.1 would not come into the picture since a real server name would be used. 

If however a third party program (suchs as the free YPops) was being used to convert Yahoo mail retrieval from http to a POP3 stream then the server would need to be specified as localhost or 127.0.0.1.

Either way I cannot understand how an avast update or repair would have affected settings of a mail client on an XP system.

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 11:14:34 PM »

Quote from Chrissy:

I do have the paid yahoo ......

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 11:29:59 PM »
CharleyO - I saw that - so then where do you think the discussion of 127.0.0.1 came from?

CharleyO

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 12:06:50 AM »

I was guessing that since Chrissy says she has the paid yahoo, it would be a POP3 account. Therefore, Chrissy realized that 127.0.0.1 was not needed.

http://search2.cc.scd.yahoo.com/cct_search.php?ui_mode=answer&prior_transaction_id=113463&action_code=5&highlight_info=16779052,36,71&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fhelp.yahoo.com%2Fhelp%2Fus%2Fmail%2Fmdom%2Fmdom-26.html&answer_id=5256162#__highlight

Maybe I am wrong ... or ... maybe I am misunderstanding the discussion.    ???  :-[   :-\

Oh well, you guys will straighten me out on it, I'm sure!    ;)    8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 12:18:07 AM »
@ Alan
I think it is just Chrissypa's confusion on trying to setup email accounts manually when it isn't required with XP.

I can add an account into my email from yahoo and it come's in fine. But when I change the incoming to 127.0.0.1 it wont work.
So I can't see what the problem is is the email is coming in OK.

The problem is further complicated by Chrissypa not answering all the questions that are being asked, we still don't know what firewall or email program both of which could have an effect.

I too made the assumption that the Paid for Yahoo email is pop3.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security