Author Topic: Avast Firewall blocking Thunderbird outgoing email  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Stever0308

Avast Firewall blocking Thunderbird outgoing email
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
 >:(  Ok, I've been trying to figure this one out for about a week.

I have:  Win7Pro 64, TBird 24.2.0, Avast Internet Security 2014.9.0.2011 AND Windows Firewall
Everything up to date and current.

My email was working fine up until about a week and a half ago.  I have accounts with Earthlink (personal email) and MSN (outlook.live.com) that I use for general and on-line shopping.  I only had Earthlink SMTPauth set up for outgoing.  All of a sudden, I could no longer get email from MSN and could not send anything out.  I checked all my settings, using the help info from both Mozilla and both MSN and Earthlink sites to no avail.  I deleted the accounts from TBird and re-added them, and added both the MSN and Earthlink SMTP servers, and even the MSN as a POP3, to no avail.  I finally deleted both accounts again (this morning), and all the SMTP server infor and readded them, MSN as an IMAP and Earthlink and a POP3 and both SMTP servers from scratch.  I now finally have access to email sent TO me, but still cannot send anything out. I get the "Server timed out" error message after TBird sits there for a while saying it was connecting to the server.  I then disabled the email scan.  No change, cannot send anything out either Earthlink or MSN.  I then enabled email scan and disabled the firewall.  Viola!  It works!  both SMTP servers can now see me and I can send emails.  I enabled the Avast firewall and disabled the Windows Firewall.  Couldn't send anything again.  Enabled the waindows firewall and disabled the Avast firewall, then sending works. 

Does anyone have a clue why this this happening?  I am at my wits end.  Why am I paying for a firewall suite if it BREAKS things?

REDACTED

Re: Avast Firewall blocking Thunderbird outgoing email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:19:05 AM »
Did you ever figure anything out?

I am having this problem too with a peculiar twist.
This always happens when I am at a specific coffee shop which uses AT&T Internet Services for their Wifi.

HUH?

Don' t have issue at home where I use Comcast internet and my own ASUS router.

I have been looking at how the firewall sets access to specific ports to the for the Thunderbird application.

Thanks,
J.R.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:32:12 AM »
Did you ever figure anything out?
His post is from 2014 ... he may not reply   ;)

This always happens when I am at a specific coffee shop which uses AT&T Internet Services for their Wifi.

Don' t have issue at home where I use Comcast internet and my own ASUS router.
It may be relatet to outgoing mail account smtp settings

what port are you using for outgoing mail?
does it work if you turn off firewall?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:52:33 AM by Pondus »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 09:02:10 AM »
Ask the coffeeshop what specific settings they have set.