Author Topic: "Enable all shields (one disabled)" - web shield  (Read 2968 times)

REDACTED

"Enable all shields (one disabled)" - web shield
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:35:19 AM »
Hi,
Yesterday I received an Avast pop-up message telling me I had "Bad reputation web browser add-ons".  These were listed as:
Asynchronous Plugin Rendering, and D3D9 Acceleration Fallback.
I am using Firefox (49.0.1), in Windows 10.
Trusting Avast I removed both of these.
As soon as I removed them, Avast started to misbehave. It told me that the web shield had been disabled (the on-screen Avast icon is displaying a yellow warning triangle). I have not been able to enable it from any of the three methods available from within the Avast program. In the Windows Control Panel I've clicked on "Uninstall or change a program", selected Avast, and "Repair", but this has also failed to solve the problem.
How can the web shield be enabled?
Thanks,
RMS1

REDACTED

Re: "Enable all shields (one disabled)" - web shield
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:52:32 AM »
Further to my previous message, under "Components", in the Avast program, I can select Web Shield, and then Customise.  This gives me the opportunity to uninstall the Web Shield. What happens if I do this? Am I able to re-install Web Shield, and therefore to see if this fixes the problem?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:57:19 AM »
This gives me the opportunity to uninstall the Web Shield. What happens if I do this?
Eh, it will remove the webshield as it says ofcourse.

Perform a clean installation of avast and see if it solves the problem.
As you removed the add-ons (which are part of FireFox), you also need to install FireFox again.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:43:50 AM »
Yes, I was aware the web shield would be uninstalled if I clicked "uninstall". What I meant was whether or not there would be a facility there to reinstall it.
In any event I seem to have fixed the problem. I downloaded the latest Avast setup file and installed the program over the existing program, then restarted the computer. The web shield is now reactivated. I am able to disable and enable all three shields successfully.
Firefox also appears to be working OK. The two system extensions that Avast considered to be "bad reputation" add-ons are listed with other system extensions (green icons) and additional extensions (orange icons) in a debugging page for extensions.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:46:25 AM by RMS1 »