Author Topic: Worlds "diamonds" - Croatia this time...  (Read 11932 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Worlds "diamonds" - Croatia this time...
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
Hi Gene,

And if you did it well, you installed the Win98 SE Unofficial Service Pack 2. With this your 98 SE is up to date, has all the patches unto now, only you have to install IE and Outlook separately. I had this unofficial Win 98 SE version, and it never caused any hick-up so far. Well the security programs you have to add yourself, a good AV, AT, AS (Ad-aware, Spybot S&D & SpywareBlaster, and a good free software firewall.
With a bit of insight people could enjoy so much more.
At this moment I am surfing from a mem stick with a podcasted Flock browser, leaving no cache nor history, really snug as a bug in a rug.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Zagor

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 02:18:04 PM »
Hello Polonus, good to see you!

Maybe this question requires a new topic (let the mods do their job :)), but here it goes:

Now that you have mentioned, what is the difference between the applications which require U3 standard and portable applications?
I mean you can use portable apps like Flock on your USB stick even if it's not U3 compatibile, but you cannot use U3 apps on USB that does not support U3 standard. I'm still puzzling over this one. Maybe you're the most approprite person to answer this because you're using this techology.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 10:56:15 PM »
Hi Zagor,

The USB 3 standard is not here yet, going to be shipped this summer. USB 2.0 and this depending on the drivers you have is 40 times faster then USB 1.0 was. The unofficial Win 98 SE Service Pack 2 with the drivers support USB 2.0.
USB is stable, there is no movable parts, it will last longer then CD and certainly longer then rewritable CD, which do not last longer than a year or so. Then there is the safety aspect. If you use this browser inside the mem stick you leave no traces on the computer. Running AV from a mem stick, or a full Linux distro has its advantages, you can imagine. A security apps that can run from a mem stick and can be downloaded unto it is Lavasofts' Ad-Aware, runs without any problem. Crazy Browser is ported for the mem stick too, and Avant Browser also.
Then soon mem sticks or flash drives or portable partitions will carry up to 4 GB.

Read here: http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb3.htm

polonus

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 12:08:34 AM by polonus »

Zagor

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 12:23:42 AM »
Well I gues we should wait then...:)

Thanks and cheers!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 07:35:22 AM »
Sasha your Zagor now.  ;D I wondered where you were  ;D

Nope... Zagor is just my good friend... I am my everlasting idol, the guy who lit the World, Nikola Tesla now...  ;D Oh, I am so proud I can say he was from my country... electricity genius, one of a kind. We wouldn't be able to run our couputers today if it wasn't for him, we would be still in the dark rooms lit just by candles, and many many more things... I simply adore him.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 05:04:30 PM »
Sasha your Zagor now.  ;D I wondered where you were  ;D

Nope... Zagor is just my good friend... I am my everlasting idol, the guy who lit the World, Nikola Tesla now... ;D Oh, I am so proud I can say he was from my country... electricity genius, one of a kind. We wouldn't be able to run our couputers today if it wasn't for him, we would be still in the dark rooms lit just by candles, and many many more things... I simply adore him.
o.k. that clears that up  ;) way of topic, well Topic is pretty open to interpretation.  ;) Hi Szc ,  ;D  Tesla was working at tapping into the Electricity around the planet,(?) in the atmosphere, radio waves, I really should know more about Him from studying Electronics.
Inspired to Google him and further my knowledge ,
-Cheers.

polonus , the USB stick with OS ,AV , etc. sounds like the way to go for us security minded folks. Isolating main software components , great idea !

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 10:33:14 PM »
Hi Abraxas,

The way to go for us, and also to have stored there all these fine little proggies we need sometimes, like our aimfix, toolbarcop, silent runners, killbox, regseeker, start dreck, aurorafix, hostfix and Merijn's IBProcman, just to mention a few that go excellent from a mem stick. Another issue that comes of mind, is the lifespan of data storage, as it is well known for instance that CD-rw's don't last longer as a year. Diskettes stem from a former century, so we are in need of some other storage medium as well. And how you think about it, a memory stick is quite solid.

polonus