Author Topic: Please allow deactivation of the PhotoOptimizer feature  (Read 6329 times)

REDACTED

Please allow deactivation of the PhotoOptimizer feature
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »
Hi,

The main reason why i paid for a subscription to Mobile Cleanup was to get rid of the ads and gain more control on some settings not available in the free version. I have been surprised to discover that the PhotoOptimizer thing have no way to be turned off. I just don't want my photo to be compressed nor modified in any way! I have not cancelled my subscription yet, but the app is now no longer on my phone.

If i run short of storage on my device, i can handle it like a big boy. I have been interested by the product at the first place as a tool to manage temporary files, and all kinds of leftovers resulting from daily usage of my device.

So please Avast allow your users to turn off this PhotoOptimizer thing.

Greetings,
/S

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Please allow deactivation of the PhotoOptimizer feature
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB219
With a premium subscription to Cleanup, you can control how much you want to optimize the size and quality of each image.
Can't you just set it to 0 adjusting ?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:32:43 PM »
Unfortunately no :-( There is two settings to control the image size reduction operation: One affects the dimensions of the image, the other affect jpeg compression. It's possible to keep the original dimensions {x, y} and apply a minimum compression ratio, but there is no way to just turn off this feature completely.

From a user point of view (regarding usability ergonomics), imho i think it's important to allow clearly an on/off setting on this, it's clearer than keeping the feature turned on, but with no effects due to parametrization.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 04:16:45 PM »
I would have expected that option to exist or at least a option to select which images you want to compress and which not or something like that.
Seems to me something avast should add.

Something else, only images that are larger than the screen are compressed.
Sounds nice if you only view the images on the phone, but what if you want to view them on a PC ?
They could be horrible looking.

Two things that avast really need to think about in my opinion.

Offline Štěpán Vaněk

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 08:20:39 PM »
hi,

thanks for your feedback.
We are not sure what is the problem as nobody forces users to use optimizer, it is just an option. We show on that tile on dashboard amount of MB user can gain by optimizing his photos, but it is not cleaned within Safe Clean.
User needs to tap "Optimize" and then confirm that after he adjusts list of photos to optimize. You can be really sure you won't optimize accidentally your photos. 
In future we are considering a feature for Pro users that will allow them to adjust what services are displayed in that ribbon.

Let us know if this is helpful.
Cheers!