Author Topic: Configuring an Avast Proxy in Windows 10 - HELP.  (Read 2782 times)

REDACTED

Configuring an Avast Proxy in Windows 10 - HELP.
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »
Dear Members/Moderators,

I utilize some services of Avast in relations to security and VPN.  As of recent I have been led to conclude that certain individuals have utilized some loopholes to bypass my Avast protection.  That asides, let me get to the crunch...

All I need to know is the following:
* In Windows 10>Settings>VPN Proxy Settings :::  What is the 'Script Address' avast members have to use when we 'use a setup script' for automatic configuration?
* More importantly (since I do not really understand the above - can someone explain it to me?) when we 'use a proxy server' in the 'manual configuration' what is the address we should use and the recommended 'port'?
* Given the above, we then can list to use the proxy server except for addresses that start with some inputted entries.  What addresses should I input if I wanted to use no proxies when viewing Avast affiliated websites and partners?

I tried emailing Avast direct but they still have not replied (there I explained in more detail the nature of my problem).  Somehow my router domain's security has been violated.  I am sure that what I asked above will not solve all my problems, but it would aide me in others.

I am just a normal Joe who studied a lot in life and am only just late recently immersing myself in IT.

Cheers for the patience!  Look forward to feedback.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Configuring an Avast Proxy in Windows 10 - HELP.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 05:59:35 AM »
I tried emailing Avast direct but they still have not replied (there I explained in more detail the nature of my problem). 
Contact support: https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 06:19:02 AM »
What is the 'Script Address' avast members have to use when we 'use a setup script' for automatic configuration?
There is no need to set anything up anything.
avast scans the data traffic and it doesn't matter if you are using a proxy or not.
What addresses should I input if I wanted to use no proxies when viewing Avast affiliated websites and partners?
You either use a proxy or you don't, unless you can configure the proxy server/software to work on some sites while not on others.
As of recent I have been led to conclude that certain individuals have utilized some loopholes to bypass my Avast protection.
What makes you believe so?
Somehow my router domain's security has been violated.
What is telling that has happened ?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:49:43 AM »
Asyn==>  That is what I meant by emailing them.  I submitted a support ticket and they still have not gotten back to me.  But it has been the weekend.  Hopefully this week they will get back.

Eddy==>
"As of recent I have been led to conclude that certain individuals have utilized some loopholes to bypass my Avast protection.
What makes you believe so?"

Ans:  I have been hacked about 7 times (that I was aware of) this year on my workstation, and another three times on my old phone.  I attained a new phone and reformatted my entire PC since, but the thing is my router configuration options have been partially blocked now.  I will do a full reset next week when I hear back from Avast and my net provider - it is complicated as to why I do not do it now.  I actually got the strangest hints that these hackers may in fact be trying to increase my security, but being someone's bitch is not comforting.

"Somehow my router domain's security has been violated."
What is telling that has happened ?
As explained above.  I do not want to get into the details here.

I HAVE A NEW QUESTION
(maybe I should have started a new thread but do not want to swamp)==>

Whenever I now log in with Avast VPN or what not, I get the following prompt message:

"Firewall Mode changed

We detected the network

MNF Data customers (avast! SecureLine TAP, AU)

and automatically changed the Firewall Mode to

Private/Low Risk Zone

*change*"
(==> And if one clicks on 'change' it simply takes us to the 'Firewall Screen' and informs the Firewall is 'on' and that I am connected to: *MyDomainName*, MNF Data customers (avast! SecureLine TAP, AU))

Is my firewall security minimized with this alert?  I consider myself to be in a high risk zone because I live in a densely packed neighbourhood.  A kid walking down the street may have a go at hacking my wifi or PC using their phone, or any other neighbour in this surburbia.

I also have a NEW problem:==>

Whenever I do a trace of one of the running processes in >Network Connections>> (in Avast software) the following shows as an error message:

"avast : Avast Information

GeoIP failed

Error 0x20000004

*OK*"

It didn't use to be like that 2-3 days ago.  And I am actually wondering what data that trace does.  It just shows a global map with several interconnecting lines across country nodes I presume.  I am not sure how I could use this data for my security or knowledge assuming I got it to work again.

AND FOR THE MODERATORS HERE:
I would highly suggest a setting where individual bloggers are notified by email when a new post is replied to on a given blog so we can quickly come back and check.  I have been using philosophy/science and social forums for years and they all have that feature.[/i]

That is all... I hope somebody can help.  :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »
Is my firewall security minimized with this alert?
It is not a alert, but a notification that avast detected a new network and set the best protection for it.
I am not sure how I could use this data for my security or knowledge assuming I got it to work again.
There is nothing to get working again as nothing is broken and it is working as it should.
but the thing is my router configuration options have been partially blocked now.
If you login as admin, nothing will be blocked.
It can be the firmware provided by a ISP is preventing users from changing certain things if the ISP does not want users to mess with it.

Looking at your questions and what you say, I very much doubted that your system has been hacked.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »
Eddy... Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.  Weren't for the fact that I can be quite paranoid I would not have learnt so much since I last posted.  I learnt a LOT.  Still some major hurdles to unravel though.

Another question, in Avast's Firewall 'Application Rules' I have an application called 'System' and it allows connections to 'all networks' by default it seems (this under the 'flatten view').  Is there any way I can find out what that 'system' application refers to (would I be under danger, *speculating*).  I also want to know why this 'system' application does not show when I untick the 'flatten view' checkbox.  Why is that?  Ahem, yeah, the thing that worries me about the 'system' application is that there is no description for it, the company is listed as 'AVAST Software a.s.', but there is NO SIGNATURE!  PS: The file's path is 'System', no directory!?

Also, for some reason I have an application in there too that does not show under 'flatten view' but shows when it is unticked, and there is no data on it.  Can I just delete it?  I do not know who put it there but the name used is something very similar to one of my personal folders.

Ok, that is all for now spontaneously typed.

Thanks again...    WAITT....  One more thing...  I do not think my eyes are deceiving me, but that same 'system' application just had it's description changed to 'Visual Studio 201t Graphics Analyzer', and the company is now 'Microsoft Corporation' (again with no signature).  I will monitor it and let you know on the next post, unless somebody can explain to me what it is.