Author Topic: Avast! "Free" Modules/Components  (Read 5133 times)

REDACTED

Avast! "Free" Modules/Components
« on: October 22, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »

Hi, I just wanted to verify what components are legitimately included in the free Avast! Antivirus since when I went over to Settings>Components and saw that clicking to install some components (which I was sure had to be For-Paid ones) actually worked and in a usable fashion too, I took it as on Trial version...only so far it was not. Notably, the Firewall component has me questioning its functioning on a Free term as well as the Anti-Spam and Secure DNS which altogether make up those dubiously free components that are currently installed and seemingly working without a hitch alongside the main app and its basic features.

Please see attached images for reference. If there are posts about some promotional update having to do with this, please let e know as I haven't been able to turn up a similar result regarding such a case.

For what it's worth, NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING but in this case better to be sure than sorry should it turn out to be aught more than false advertising.

Thanks![

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast! "Free" Modules/Components
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »
yeah but as you can see, the firewall component (stopping hackers from getting into your system) clearly ain't intended for "free" avast? And I haven't opted for the trial version of any of the paid ones neither. Yet my avast says these pro components are well activated for my free account. So what's up with that??

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
Repair Avast:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
I mean, just for the sake of argument why would I want to rid of premium goodies if I hadn't have to pay for it in the first place, while still getting the best of both sides under legal terms? Would there be any technical issue or under-performance I could be experiencing if I was not to repair it since it doesn't seem like it's broken anyway?

ps. While i'm at it would be quite a treat to have a chance to deploy avast with added muscle like so..so of course that I'm only too grateful for (even though I might be talking to a bot?).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
Click on "about avast" and post a screenshot of it please.
It can be you do have a trial installed of the paid version.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »
Strange, sounds like the trial version to me.
Anyway, if you're happy keep using it. ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
here are some snips. I've been using these pro components since more than a month ago so I highly doubt I was put on a trial version of avast. Still, how can I be sure they are up to snuff in doing what they ought to do, like for example, I have yet to see how to effectively deploy the Anti-Spam from within a third party email app like thunderbird without it having any intuitive option for integration or at least any sign that it may helping in the background to bin out the spam for me without getting me informed about it? If you don't mind, it would be awesome if you can lighten me up or at least link me to a primer on what of these components are supposed to be like in practice (or maybe in this case on a free version) so that rest assured I'm not being lead to believe I have extra security net when in reality I don't (ie a dummy bug) - especially the firewall (which looks ok but still). Many thanks. :D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
To me it seems either a glitch that you can use those paid features or avast is silently testing something amongst a small amount of users.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
To me it seems either a glitch that you can use those paid features or avast is silently testing something amongst a small amount of users.
I agree, so enjoy it as long as it lasts... ;)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 01:58:42 PM »
A few month ago there was a program glitch reported by more users that did the same, but that was fixed than.
No idea what is the case here.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »
I just installed the free version on Windws 10 (clean install) in a VM.
I could put a checkmark in front of the VPN and CleanUp, but the firewall wasn't even listed.

My guess is (for whatever reason) a update did not correct the glitch that was fixed on the OP's system.