Author Topic: Can't send email through SMTP via TLS  (Read 10260 times)

Gibarian

Re: Can't send email through SMTP via TLS
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 08:01:40 PM »
Duly noted David, just for the information of MaDonna, and those ones with the same issue... Apparently, thunderbird 1.5 has some kind of conflict (sort of) with Avast mail scan, and this affects not only TLS mails (the main issue in this thread), but also the regular ones...

MaDonna

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 08:04:49 PM »
Thank you. I feel vindicated.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 09:56:47 PM »
MaDonna,

glad that you felt able to post again.

Since the TLS issue is no longer actively being discussed in this thread I guess we might as well use it to discuss the problem that has been brought up where emails sent using Thunderbird are experiencing delivery problems.

Quick point for Gibarian - the TLS issue affects almost all e-mail clients (except those for which avast provides special plugins - Outlook and The Bat) not just Thunderbird.

As I mentioned yesterday I am using Thunderbird 1.5 with avast and finding no problem in sending emails.

If you are still experiencing the problem then it will probably be useful to create (for a while) a more detailed avast! log of your mail connections.

You can get the mailscanner to log your connections by editing the avast4.ini file (in  Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA folder).

In the section headed:

[MailScanner]

add the line:

Log=20

and save the updated file.

The log will be in Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\ashmaisv.log

Please try to send an email - hopefully the send failure will occur and be recorded.

If you are then willing to share the log ... please first obscure any personally identifiable information in it ... we shall have a better chance of understanding what may be causing the problem you are encountering.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:01:44 PM by alanrf »

Offline xalbux

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 06:50:35 PM »
I can confirm the error.

I recently changed from another antivirus scanner to avast 4.6 Home Edition.

Before I had no problems sending eMails with Accounts using TLS for SMTP
Well the other antivirus didn't checked outgoing emails.
After Installation of avast sending didn't worked anymore. I got the same error as described in the first post of this thread. Disabling the check of outgoing eMails resolves the problem.

Regards