Author Topic: How to reinstall Avast?  (Read 10097 times)

REDACTED

How to reinstall Avast?
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:59:37 PM »
Avast is behaving oddly. I can tell it to run a scan, but if I do it locks up the computer from doing anything else and the Avast scan cannot be paused or stopped. If I click on either of those commands Avast locks up. If I let the scan run to conclusion it still locks up and does not let me see the details of the scan. I can't even open the task manager or get the computer to restart without manually turning it off and on. I haven't installed any new software on the computer, since it started doing this, so I'm not sure of the cause. I think that the best first step would be to uninstall and reinstall Avast.

I remember years ago when I had to do this, someone pointed me to a program that would clear Avast better than Windows uninstall programs feature. Could someone point me to that program? Does anyone have any other recommendations for something that I should try or is an uninstall/reinstall the best idea for a first check?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to reinstall Avast?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »
- Delete all avast folders/files
- Delete all registry entries from avast
- Reboot
- Install avast

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
- Delete all avast folders/files
- Delete all registry entries from avast
- Reboot
- Install avast

While I could definitely delete the Avast Folders and files, I've never messed with anything in the registry and don't feel that I'm qualified to do that. Besides, I thought that uninstalling the program from Windows was better than deleting manually.

However, I know that there's some program/tool that does this automatically, and I was told that it does a better job than just uninstalling the program from Windows. It was recommended to me the last time I had to reinstall Avast.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and what the link to it is?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
Avastclear tool can be found on the Avast support/FAQ's webpage https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB10#artTitle

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
Avastclear tool can be found on the Avast support/FAQ's webpage https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB10#artTitle

Thank you! This is it.