Author Topic: The Avast! icon is gonne from my desktop  (Read 2766 times)

regina.aradhan

The Avast! icon is gonne from my desktop
« on: February 21, 2007, 06:08:21 PM »
The Avast icon just disappeared from my desktop and I notice that many times comes a sign asking to turn off the computer for installation of a new version. But Avast resident looks like working well but do not open the window for scanning if I click at the resident protection icon. Please, can somebody give me a tip for that? I´m worried about this.
Thanks a lot.
Regina
version 4.7.942 home - VPS: 000715-1 / windows XP (Pack1)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: The Avast! icon is gonne from my desktop
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »
As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.

I take it you mean reboot, rather than "I notice that many times comes a sign asking to turn off the computer for installation of a new version." ?

Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed.
This could be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:25:34 PM »
Can you advise for a Mac?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 10:52:54 PM »
Can you advise for a Mac?
you are posting in a topic from 2007 

for Mac questions use the Mac forum section    ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.