Author Topic: Simple vs Enhanced User Interface  (Read 5158 times)

Walter

Simple vs Enhanced User Interface
« on: December 07, 2003, 11:37:25 PM »
I am using Avast 4 Pro version 4.1.304.  When I perform a complete scan of my system (2 HDD's C: and D: with a total of 20 GB) using the Simple User Interface, the scan takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes.  When I perform a complete scan my system using the Enhanced User Interface, the scan only takes about 23 minutes.  Why?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Simple vs Enhanced User Interface
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 01:19:42 AM »
I am using Avast 4 Pro version 4.1.304.  When I perform a complete scan of my system (2 HDD's C: and D: with a total of 20 GB) using the Simple User Interface, the scan takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes.  When I perform a complete scan my system using the Enhanced User Interface, the scan only takes about 23 minutes.  Why?

Certainly some of these things are happening: or your settings are not the same in both scannings (archive, sensitivity, etc.) or the backgroud running services are not the same... Do you get the same results from that scannings?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 12:56:23 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 01:58:30 AM »
this is deffinitely the archive scanning I tried this on my iBook's virtual PC with avast it went form 22 minutes  with out it to 1h 17 min with it enabled. But then agian the iBook only has a 1.25 ghz processor so its natrually slow
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 02:40:38 AM »
Walter,

There should be no appreciable difference in using the Simple vs Enhanced interface.  There is additional functionality in the Enhanced but both scan the same when set the same.

I normally use Enhanced, but when set the same, the Simple interface scan time is not appreciably different.

Mac is correct.  Archive scanning accounts for the larger portion of the scan time since it is part of an "indepth" process.

Technical mentioned "sensitivity" (I think) which would not drastically increase or decrease scan time.  Sensitivity will change the scan time somewhat, but not from over an hour to under half hour.

Good luck,
techie

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 03:25:02 PM »
Technical mentioned "sensitivity" (I think) which would not drastically increase or decrease scan time.  Sensitivity will change the scan time somewhat, but not from over an hour to under half hour.

It's not possible to say that in general. It depends on the files you have on the disk. An extreme example is scanning of a DVD disc: it only contains a couple of files, but these files are huge.

With the 'Standard' sensitivity, the scan will complete in a couple of seconds. With the sensitivity set to 'Thorough' it will take minutes (or tens of minutes) though, as the files are scanned in their entirety...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 04:10:35 PM »
VLK,

Thank you for your added information.  I do not normally scan DVDs so I was not thinking of that facet.

However, I still have found no appreciable difference between Enhanced and Simple if both are set the same to scan the same files.

MacLover's answer was essentially correct, and Technical's questions as to having both set the same is also as correct.

techie

Waldo

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 06:05:34 PM »
]With the 'Standard' sensitivity, the scan will complete in a couple of seconds. With the sensitivity set to 'Thorough' it will take minutes (or tens of minutes) though, as the files are scanned in their entirety...

Vlk

That's correct > in the avast help file there is a alinea about it, it says that in the standard sensitivity only the beginning and the end of a file are scanned to determine it's malicious or not. In the thorough setting it will scan the complete content (much slower)

Waldo
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 06:06:40 PM by Waldo »