Author Topic: BT fiber modem dieing question.  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Lotan

BT fiber modem dieing question.
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:46:29 PM »
so i think my BT open reach fiber modem is dieing as it keeps cutting off and i was wondering if anyone here knows of a good router that has a built in fiber modem that i can buy to replace it? preferably netgear.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: BT fiber modem dieing question.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 04:52:50 PM »
can you use another fiber modem then the one from BT ?   

on some net you can only use the one from the ISP, but you can conect whatever you want after the modem

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:54:24 PM by Pondus »

Offline Lotan

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 05:00:56 PM »
i found this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-DM200-100EUS-Broadband-High-Speed-Modem/dp/B01GL3YPHI/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t
but im not sure if it works with fiber as all i can find is "DSL, VDSL, etc" from what ive looked up i think i need a VDSL modem but considering i dont know which catagory fiber falls under, and £45 is quite abit to waste on a modem just to find out its not compatable.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
Fiber modems are often a special design with fiber connections on, most routers / wireless routers dont have that
I also have fiber all the way in and must have the fiber box from my ISP but can connect whatever wireless router i want after it

For router i think i would go for a ASUS that have built in TrendMicro AiProtection > https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1012070/

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:12:50 PM by Pondus »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »
A connection can be called fibre but that almost always refer to what is used by the ISP to connect between different points in the network, not what you get in your home.
If you need a true fibre modem/router is easy to check.
How is your current modem connected ?
If it is with a fibre cable, you will need a true fibre modem.

Normally the ISP provides the modem/router(/firewall).
If yours did, ask them to give you a new one.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 05:16:50 PM »
so i think my BT open reach fiber modem is dieing as it keeps cutting off and i was wondering if anyone here knows of a good router that has a built in fiber modem that i can buy to replace it? preferably netgear.

As mentioned you should be able to get another Home Hub from BT.

Whilst there would normally be a charge for this, I think you can get it for free if you commit for 12 months.

I still have the BT Home Hub 2 and that is still working fine. But I'm considering upgrading to the latest BT hub and I don't expect to have to pay for it. I've been on fibre internet with BT for over 5 years so committing to another 12 months, no problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lotan

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 05:20:13 PM »
im not with bt im with plusnet (which is owned by bt) they said they will just send out a technician within 5 working days thats why im looking one to buy as it will be faster than waiting for the technician then for him to send for a replacement modem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
im not with bt im with plusnet (which is owned by bt) they said they will just send out a technician within 5 working days thats why im looking one to buy as it will be faster than waiting for the technician then for him to send for a replacement modem.

OK, I know they are owned by BT, but I didn't think that they were able to offer what is essentially BT Infinity. Mine is up to 52Mbps max download and I don't believe plusnet offered that.

Reference what Eddy said, most of BTs Fibre Internet connections are Fibre to the Cabinet and the last bit to the home is still copper cable. There are some that have a direct connection, Fibre to the Home, I doubt that yours is that or actually having a fibre modem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 05:28:05 PM »

Offline Lotan

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »
thanks Pondus that helped. so as long as its VDSL2 compatable i should be fine