Author Topic: Mobile data issues + suggestions  (Read 6276 times)

REDACTED

Mobile data issues + suggestions
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
Hi.

I installed Avast Battery Saver a few days ago comming from CM Battery Doctor which I used for almost 2 years. I was immediatelly impressed with clutter free interface and absense of useless features like RAM booster which in my opinion just kills auto starting apps for a few minutes before they start themselves again. Better to use force stop battery draining apps like you can from Avast Battery Saver (but only manually). So my suggestion would be to add a feature to make this automatic. The way Greenify app does it (even for non-rooted phones like mine). BTW, my phone is Sony Xperia M.

Anyways to my concernes. Since I started using Avast Battery Saver I get "mobile data is off" notifications all the time. Which shouldn't happen because I spend most of the time at home and at work where I have constant Wi-Fi access and both profiles are set to "Wi-Fi only" setting! What I observed it that this app turns mobile data on and quickly off before activating Wi-Fi even with "Wi-Fi only" setting. This shouldn't happen with Wi-Fi only.

Also, I was just at a place other than home/work, but where I have Wi-Fi access. Default profile was active (donno original name, Optimized?, I renamed it to "Outside" after install). I set this profile to "Prefer Wi-Fi", but when I checked both Wi-Fi and mobile data were on at the same time. This shouldn't happen either. If you prefer Wi-Fi and it's present it shouldn't activate mobile data at all.

Maybe that's why Avast Battery Saver app is among top 5 battery consumers on my phone along with screen, Android system and such. I tracked it for a few days and it's about 8%-12% battery usage between every battery charge. I just use phone for a few calls a day and some WhatsApp messages. That's not so great result for a battery saver and solving this issues with mobile data activations would maybe reduce battery usage of the app itself. Also it would reduce that annoying mobile data off notifications (because mobile data wouldn't be turned on when Wi-Fi is available).

Please accept this as a friendly and constructive post. I really like the concept of Avast Battery Saver for reasons stated above. With a few additions it would be perfect for me. So here are my suggestions:

1) Add sound notification when battery charging is complete at 100%. This shouldn't be hard to implent I guess.

2) If possible add ability to force stop selected apps automatically like Greenify app does for non-rooted phones ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify ).

3) Maybe to add some simple battery charging log/calendar, so you could track how your tweaking of profiles or stopping apps impacts battery usage. So people could find their own balance of phone functionality and battery life.

Kind regards,
Bruno Klampfl
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:44:41 PM by bruno.klampfl »

REDACTED

Re: Mobile data issues + suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »
Excuse me Avast has stopped 11 of my apps on me. I know one od them is the clock but do not know the others. How do I Start these apps again. I am quite annoyed as I do not have the time inclination and knowledge to do this. Please help.

Offline Avast-TS

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »
Hi bruno.klampfl,

Automatic app stopping is now possible, you just need to give the accessibility permission to Avast Battery Saver, you usually can do this after killing all apps for the first time and tapping on the button "Grant permissions" at the end of the animation. Also the sound notification when battery charging is complete at 100% was added.

Offline Avast-TS

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
Excuse me Avast has stopped 11 of my apps on me. I know one od them is the clock but do not know the others. How do I Start these apps again. I am quite annoyed as I do not have the time inclination and knowledge to do this. Please help.

Hi amenannon,

The clock now should be whitelisted and not stopped by default. To avoid stopping apps that you don't want to be stopped, you can add them in the "Allowed apps" section in the tools screen (the last one on the right).