Author Topic: Cannot connect on Windows 10  (Read 3413 times)

REDACTED

Cannot connect on Windows 10
« on: October 30, 2016, 05:00:56 PM »
I just bought a new computer with Windows 10 64.  I have Avast Secureline VPN running on my Win 7 computer with no problem.  I cannot get Secureline to connect on my new Win 10 computer.  It says my license is valid but when I try to connect I get "sorry it is not possible to establish a connection"  Is there a patch I have to run to make it work?  When I called tech support they said I had to deinstall Norton Antivirus but Secureline works fine with Norton on my Win 7 device.  How do I make this work?  I am working out of a hotel so I need it.

J

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Cannot connect on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
Have you tried different servers ?
If not, do so.

If you have a securelicense for 1 system, you can install it on multiple systems but you can only use it on 1 at a time.

What exact OS ?
Besides Norton, any other security (related) software installed ? (or was there)
What is the secureline log file saying about the problem ?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »
I usually let it connect to the closest server but I have tried multiple servers.
Win 10 Home Version 1607 x64
I have tried running with my win 7 computer off so it was not connected...no success.
At Tech support's suggestion I tried installing Avast Antivirus free in case there was a missing file but no success. I deinstalled it.  No other antivirus that I can find but it is a brand new computer so something could be lurking that I can't find.

How do I find the log file?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:41:01 PM by jghayes88 »

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:41:52 PM »
Hi jghayes,

The log file is in the program data folder, which is sometimes hidden.  If you go to C: drive and don't see program data then you need to unhide it.  You can do that by following these steps (from Microsoft directly):

Open File Explorer.
Go to the C drive.
Click on view.
Check on the box Hidden items.
If you are still unable to see the program date folder then click on Options next to hidden items.
Go to view tab.
Under hidden files and folder, select show hidden files, folders and drives.
Click on Apply and OK button.
Now, again go to C diver the program date folder shall be available.

Once the program data folder is open, you can open the Avast Software folder, then Avast, then Log.  The log for SecureLine is located here.

Please open a support ticket here:  https://support.avast.com/support/tickets/new and include the log file there.

Many thanks,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:58:04 PM »
I did as you suggested but there is no log file.  I showed hidden files and went to C:\program files\Avast  The only thing in there was Secureline and under Secureline there was no LOG file.
I finally got my Android devices working but I am getting pretty fed up with Avast.  If I can't get this working today I will probably write it off as a mistake and pick another VPN company.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »
Hi jghayes,

The log is actual in the Program Data folder.  There is both a program files folder and a program data folder.  The program data folder is the one that was hidden and that is where the log file is.  Once you open Program Data, go to Avast Software, Avast, then Log.

There will be a file named SecureLine.log -- this is the file we need.

Sincere apologies for the frustration this is causing.  Please do give us a chance to look at the log and try to fix the issue.

Kind regards,

Davidek