Author Topic: Still Free?  (Read 18552 times)

REDACTED

Still Free?
« on: January 09, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
Don't see any reference to avast "Free" for education on their website anymore.

Still available?

Offline zlamare

Re: Still Free?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »
I think that they're moving people over to the cloud based business version, which is still free for education (with support and other features as paid add-ons). We moved over to it last year and it has worked well.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »
Well, last year there was the free cloud based version for (small) businesses also, but that has been gone now.
Only a paid version of it still exists.
So who knows what they have done to the educational version.

If  I look at the website it sure seems the free education program has gone also.
https://www.avast.com/education
Only the paid version is offered there.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:34:14 AM »
A school tech director friend of mine just tried to sign up... it's apparently no longer free.

50% discount for schools that's it

A real shame.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »
I've looked around and also only find the discount offer.

Looks like avast has again changed things without telling anyone and/or giving a explanation and this is not the first time and happens more and more. >:(

This is just one of the (many?) reasons why I stepped away from avast products completely about a year ago,

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
I've to agree, a short statement would have been helpful.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »
A school tech director friend of mine just tried to sign up... it's apparently no longer free.

50% discount for schools that's it

A real shame.

I believe the on premise version is still free for now, but the cloud based version was removed from being free a short time ago.

In any event, giving away all the free Avast for Business / Education licenses had to stop sometime it was just a matter of when they did it. The acquisition of AVG seems to be the trigger that finally ended it as AVG had a quite substantial presence in the small business market that Avast for Business was designed for, so they want to keep that existing paying userbase (completely understandable business decision).
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
Chiming in too.  Our renewal is not until the end of May, but our budget is so tight is squeaks!  We had been doing all stand alone clients, and I was preparing to finally do managed, now I don't know if I should proceed or start looking at other options.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
You can always contact avast and asked them what they can offer you.
e.g. free, discount or...

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 07:36:24 AM »
Chiming in too.  Our renewal is not until the end of May, but our budget is so tight is squeaks!  We had been doing all stand alone clients, and I was preparing to finally do managed, now I don't know if I should proceed or start looking at other options.

Usually education gets a steep discount if you contact your local avast reseller.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:14:14 PM »
Yeah after a week of trying to contact business support  with No response form Avast .   They should have at least informed.  Who knows other free Antivirus programs for Education?

Shame  did great , recommended to many clients and now I have to remove it.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
Yeah after a week of trying to contact business support  with No response form Avast .   They should have at least informed.  Who knows other free Antivirus programs for Education?

Shame  did great , recommended to many clients and now I have to remove it.

There is a significant discount when going to a reseller. It used to be and assume still is 50% at least in the USA Market.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 10:54:49 PM »
Bait and Switch is what I call it.  They forced me to convert from the console version to this cloud version that will "always be free for schools" (without providing any migration path) and now they want to charge cash strapped schools.  I knew when they purchased the crap product called AVG that the people in charge at AVAST have no clue what they are doing and how to run a business properly.  Time to just remove all memory of Avast and just start using MS Security Essentials. 

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 11:25:26 PM »
Bait and Switch is what I call it.  They forced me to convert from the console version to this cloud version that will "always be free for schools" (without providing any migration path) and now they want to charge cash strapped schools.  I knew when they purchased the crap product called AVG that the people in charge at AVAST have no clue what they are doing and how to run a business properly.  Time to just remove all memory of Avast and just start using MS Security Essentials.

MSE would be a nightmare to manage. Reach out to your local Reseller, they can do wonders on the pricing, especially for education. Discounts are very good for the EDU market from avast, far better than you will find from other AV companies

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »

In addition to the management nightmare that Mac mentioned, Installing MSE in your school would be a violation of the EULA.

"1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
Home Use. If you are a home user, then you may install and use any number of copies of the software on your personal devices for use by people who reside in your household.
Small Business. If you operate a small business, then you may install and use the software on up to ten (10) devices in your business.
Restrictions. The software may not be used on devices owned by government or academic institutions."