Author Topic: Avast update stopped working  (Read 12866 times)

Greenalien

Avast update stopped working
« on: February 09, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
Windows security centre has flagged up that Avast may be out of date.
The program itself still seems to work OK and will scan my computer if requested.
Pressing the 'update virus database' button does nothing, last version is from 31/Jan.
Attempting a repair via Control Panel/add/remove programs does nothing - no response when 'change/delete' button is pressed.
Manually uninstalling / reinstalling latest version does not fix the problem (I deleted the Alwil folder in Program Files and removed the 2 Alwil entries in the Registry via Regedit - are there other component (s) that need to be manually removed before reinstall?)
Any suggestions? looks to me as though some undetected malware of some sort has altered something! Any assistance gratefully received.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast update stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 05:38:23 PM »
Check you system date and ensure that the month and year are correct.

What version are you using Home or Pro, this info relates to Home only.
Check and see your Updates haven't expired, about avast, Registration Key info, you will need to reregister if out of date. avast! 4 Home Registration
Q: My licence key has expired, what to do? http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-registration-license.html#idt_1442
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Greenalien

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 06:49:19 PM »
System date month & Year are correct. I'm using Home version. First installed 2 months ago, registered version, key entered 2 months ago, no problems until a couple of days ago - surely registration lasts for a year if I understand correctly? No messages about expired licenses. Any more ideas? I'm particularly keen to know about anything that installation puts on my computer that isn't in the Alwil Program Files folder, so I can ensure I do a complete manual uninstall before re-installing. TIA.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 07:22:41 PM »
The easiest way would be to reinstall then uninstal using this utility http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html then do a full reinstal.  Rebooting between each step

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 07:28:35 PM »
Have you checked the about avast for the Update expiry date as I suggested, you didn't say?
Doing an uninstall, reboot and install won't resolve anything if the issue is the registration expiry date or Registration key.

The simplest solution would be to register again using the link I gave and you will be sent a registration key by email.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Greenalien

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 08:10:15 PM »
Thanks for the help so far !
Checked expiration date as suggested - expiration = never, Updates expiration = 1 Feb 2007, so that looks OK.
Uninstalled using suggested uninstaller, rebooted - still getting Windows Security Centre error message 'Avast antivirus 4.6.763 (VPS 604.4) reports that it may be out of date.'
Since the program has supposedly been uninstalled, how does Windows know the version number???
Reinstalled program still won't update. If I click on 'Details' on the Update (Basic) screen, program stops responding. After restarting, Clicking on 'Update now' for either program or database doesn't seem to do anything.
Any more suggestions? TIA

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 08:23:44 PM »
Well 'Avast antivirus 4.6.763 (VPS 604.4) reports that it may be out of date.' is certainly out of date 0606-3 is the latest VPS that is why WSC is reporting that.

You could download the full VPS and update it avast! VPS Update - Manual Download.

That still wouldn't get round being able to update.
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup to access the internet, no access, no update ?

Greenalien

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 08:36:45 PM »
Using Zone Alarm, it hasn't stopped any updates up until now...

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 09:24:55 PM »

Check in the program control of ZA and be sure the green checkmarks are by the avast! antivirus update program. Actually, in my ZA, all avast programs have the green checkmarks ... as should yours.    :)

Greenalien

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 09:56:04 PM »
Yes, all green in Zone Alarm.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 12:12:55 AM »
Using Zone Alarm, it hasn't stopped any updates up until now...
The operative words being until now, try this find the entry for avast.setup 'avast! antivirus update' in program control and delete it then do a manual update, ZA should ask permission again, accept it.

Occasionally ZA forgets or corrupts it program control database causing this although the entry shows green.

Greenalien

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:54:52 PM »
As suggested, I removed all 'Avast' references from Zone Alarm, then restarted the computer. Zone Alarm then requested permission to allow Avast to access the Trusted Zone, which I allowed. Checking Zone Alarm program control at this point shows 2 green ticks against 'Avast Antivirus Service' but only one green tick against 'Avast Update' - Trusted Zone.  Internet Zone is still a question mark. Opening Avast and clicking on 'iAVS Update' produces no response from Zone Alarm, and the quetioon mark remains.
Conclusion - Avast is 'broken' at some point before it attempts to access the internet, and Zone Alarm is not the problem.
Any more suggestions? I still don't know how to fully uninstall Avast, I don't think the uninstall tool does any more of a clean up than I've managed manually. My suspicion is that there's a missing / corrupted .DLL - possibly part of Windows - that Avast is trying to use for its Internet access.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 07:36:37 PM »
Conclusion avast isn't broken.

You can manually edit the ZA Program control ? question mark to allow avast access to the Internet Zone. You will find few programs will work in trusted zone only. Either that or add avast.com to your trusted zones and it would then work, but the issue is with ZA blocking, not avast being broken.

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 07:44:54 PM »

No, avast is not broken. I also use ZA and have no problem with avast getting out. Do as David suggested above and allow avast out ... open the ZA programs list ... each program of avast listed should have in the Access column check marked for both Trusted and Internet. If a ? is there instead, left click on the ? and select Allow. This should fix your problem.

I hope this helps you.    :)

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »
I have the same problem.
My registration key will expire in dec 2006.
I have ZA but all the transfers with avast is allowed.
The program version is 4.6.744.
The VPS is 0605-0 (29/01/06).

I tried to update manually but the answer is:
"Can't install VPS update. Please report following errorcodes:
Ver. 4.6.744
SI: 0x00000002
ST: 0x00000002
LE: 0x00000000

Thank you for your help.