Author Topic: What kind of "bad things" does avast! home scan for  (Read 6082 times)

Timo Schmidt

What kind of "bad things" does avast! home scan for
« on: February 14, 2006, 12:22:41 PM »
Hi there!

Currently I'm using Avast! 4.6 (latest version) as my only anti-virus-prog because it's ressource friendly (at least the processor load seems to be lower than with antivir 7 premium or kaspersky - you can check this with Aquamark 3 :D) and the implementation in the OS & Web is the best which I have seen in an antivirus-prog until now :)

But it is said that avast! does have problems detecting certain virusses (like trojans, malware, spyware etc.)

So my question is now: What kind of "bad things" does avast home scan for? I heard that there is no script scanning included in the home version - isn't this a serious security problem?

Another question is what's the difference between deep scan and normal scan. Does deep scan scan all files on the HD? The deep scan takes very long (1h 45min) on my PC while the deep scan (scan all files incl. packed) on antivir 7 premium only takes 30min. For example the scanning of a very large video file (*.avi) takes years ^^ (the scanned file counter doesn't move).

I hope you understand my English and can answer my questions ^^

Thanks

Timo

mike6688

Re: What kind of "bad things" does avast! home scan for
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 05:50:33 PM »
Hi,
Having no script blocker is only really a problem if you use programs such as Microsoft Excel, Word etc that use scripts such as Visual Basic.  However, you can download Microsoft Antispyware Beta (which is now called Windows Defender Beta 2) - for free - which has script blocking.

Avast detects Trojans, Worms, and Viruses.  Avast have said they are working on the detection capabilities of the software - and avast has won a number of awards for their detection capabilities.

A deep scan will scan every file on the computer whereas a normal scan only scans files which are most at risk from viruses.  Although the scan takes very long Avast have said they are working on reducing this.

Furthermore, your English is fine.

Hope this helps,
Mike
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 04:59:46 PM by mike6688 »

timcan

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 06:38:54 PM »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 07:19:21 PM »
avast! detects malicious spyware- spyware from the criminal end of the spectrum- like keyloggers, Trojan horses, spyware designed to steal personal information etc.

I don't believe it attempts to detect spyware from the more 'commercial' end of the spectrum- adware and spyware designed to track which sites you visit so adware can target specific ads at you.

There are AV's which attempt to detect and remove all spyware, but they have to deal with lawsuits from adware firms that don't want their products removed.

Some AV's that try this don't have a very good record for removal anyway, and others just use a licensed version of Ad-Aware.

You'll be fine with avast! and the free version of Ad-Aware, plus Spybot Search and Destroy. For real time protection, Microsoft AntiSpyware is good, so are the commercial products from Webroot and Sunbelt, if you feel like spending some money.

avast! doesn't have a brilliant detection rate for Trojans (yet?) but combining avast! with Ewido and a-Squared (both free scanners) you can get a detection rate equalling the best scanners.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »
I believe most people don't understand what avast! Script Blocker really does (it doesn't really have much to do with Excel, Word, etc. - only with IE). In any case, since the introduction of WebShield it became quite an obsolete feature, as the Web Shield will detect mostly everything the Script Blocker would, and more.

I must say I'm not aware of any scan speed improvements in progress (where did you read that, Mike?). I would say, however, that using the "Thorough scan" is overkill in most cases. The Thorough scan checks the whole files and all the files - that's why it takes so long (other AVs may not even have that possibility, I don't know). Using the "Standard scan", possibly with archives enabled, should be just fine. If you really want the thorough scan, don't be surprised it's slow.

Timo Schmidt

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 08:38:59 PM »
WOW so many answers :-)

At the moment I'm using:

- avast! 4.6 (latest build)
- SpywareBlaster
- Addaware (free version)

- Opera 9

I hope this is enough ^^

Greetings and thanks for your answers :-)

Timo

mike6688

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 08:44:48 PM »
I read that scan speeds were being improved somewhere in the forums at the start of the year - I might be wrong, sorry.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »
WOW so many answers :-)
:
:
:
Greetings and thanks for your answers :-)

Something to get used to in the avast forums ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 08:50:07 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 09:53:52 PM »

Welcome back, Timo!

I see by your number of post that you have been here before.

Please come back more often, learn more, and maybe help others.    :)