Author Topic: Beta version released - 12.4.2281  (Read 94316 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Beta version released - 12.4.2281
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2016, 11:55:45 PM »
Quote from:  link=topic=192643.msg1351436#msg1351436 date=1480367632
CyberCapture is a default-deny with cloud submission and analysis, hardened mode is a whitelist/file reputation. What he is asking for is the Identity protection behavior blocker. Deepscreen is the one that most looks like this, it runs the program and checks what it does. But i feel that it is not good enough. For me it is not like a BB since it runs the program for a limited time and i guess the only function is to decloak obfuscated malware.

I would say his post isn't that clear.

When will we have a suspicious software monitor like AVG?

I have highlighted why I believed it to be software rather than system monitoring.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 12:08:08 PM by Eva137 »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cristianojgm

« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2016, 12:10:42 AM »
Quote from:  link=topic=192643.msg1351436#msg1351436 date=1480367632
CyberCapture is a default-deny with cloud submission and analysis, hardened mode is a whitelist/file reputation. What he is asking for is the Identity protection behavior blocker. Deepscreen is the one that most looks like this, it runs the program and checks what it does. But i feel that it is not good enough. For me it is not like a BB since it runs the program for a limited time and i guess the only function is to decloak obfuscated malware.

That's right!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:14:12 AM by Eva137 »

REDACTED

« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2016, 05:20:31 PM »
I also wonder how AVG's Identity protecion module would be implemented in Avast, considering that it has already deepscreen and cybercapture for suspicious files  ???

Offline A. User

« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2016, 05:23:33 PM »
I also wonder how AVG's Identity protecion module would be implemented in Avast, considering that it has already deepscreen and cybercapture for suspicious files  ???
Because you cannot rely only on Machine learning, heuristics and virus signatures. Behavior blocker is very much needed for proper protection and Avast does not have one. Never ever seen the HIPS show me a warning like Comodo's one or even like the Qihoo's one. Even Comodo has a behavior blocker.

Offline A. User

« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »
@Garret, sorry, i misunderstood you and thought that you asked WHY it has to be implemented and not HOW. I've red your question just at a first look.  :-\

Offline cristianojgm

« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »
I've seen a lot of trojans go through the deepscreen. Cybercapture takes a long time for the file to be scanned in the cloud.
  Identity Module proteccion of AVG is an excellent reinforcement for avast in protection. In conjunction with Deepscreen and cybercapture would make avast one of the best against malware.

Offline A. User

« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »
I've seen a lot of trojans go through the deepscreen. Cybercapture takes a long time for the file to be scanned in the cloud.
  Identity Module proteccion of AVG is an excellent reinforcement for avast in protection. In conjunction with Deepscreen and cybercapture would make avast one of the best against malware.
Avast has a lot of potential IMO. CyberCapture is a default-deny just like Comodo, and default-deny is the best protection which you can get. I have to say that while you say that while 3-4 hours look like a very long time for an analysis, please note that they are checking many files since default-deny means scanning much more files than only sending suspicious files for analysis. This is a very good speed for a first try. The true challenge is to keep up the current speed of analysis while expanding the vectors that activate CyberCapture since it's not really invoked all the times now like it should. In my opinion they should expand the vectors that activate Cybercapture and also allow the free users to run the files in temporary custody in the Sandbox. Here i mean just files submitted for CC analysis and not every file that they want, which will be kept for paid users like it is now. Adding Identity Protection is very good, but they should make a team and not sack the AVG analysts but make a special dedicated team to improve continuously Identity protection as an in-house technology (adapted LOL). Otherwise Avast really are getting very good at the statistical detection of malware. :)

Offline neverseen76

« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2016, 06:38:26 PM »
Quote from:  link=topic=192643.msg1351565#msg1351565 date=1480436863
@Garret, sorry, i misunderstood you and thought that you asked WHY it has to be implemented and not HOW. I've red your question just at a first look.  :-\

Nevermind :) (It is always me. I just have another registred account) 

I would like to see IDP implemented in Avast too, because it is the best component of AVG, but don't understand how exactly they are going to mix it with Cybercapture. I mean: IDP checks the behaviour of a file and looks for some suspicious activity that it performs on the system, but in order to check it, IDP needs that file to run on the user's system. Cybercapture doesn't let the file run, it blocks it and send to Avast server for analysis. Maybe they will just add IDP to their cloud infrastructure?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 03:28:26 PM by Eva137 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2016, 10:12:40 PM »
Well, it's possible they'll use IDP's logic on CyberCapture. Meaning they'll still run the samples on remote servers, but with more extensive behavioral analysis.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2016, 10:16:46 PM »
Well, it's possible they'll use IDP's logic on CyberCapture. Meaning they'll still run the samples on remote servers, but with more extensive behavioral analysis.

They need to get CyberCapture to scan from more sources than the web and not only exe files too. CyberCapture is too limited atm.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2016, 10:47:26 PM »

They need to get CyberCapture to scan from more sources than the web and not only exe files too. CyberCapture is too limited atm.

Avast have already stated that is their intention, but first they really have to get the existing selected source working to a higher degree before expanding it to other sources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2016, 10:57:11 PM »
It's also possible they'll keep CyberCapture for online samples only and IDP for everything local or from USB drives. Plus, IDP's logic could allow them to track even local sources, allowing them to create more advanced tracking of the files and where they came from.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2016, 08:38:04 AM »
Yup, as I've suspected, CyberCapture isn't just behavioral analysis system, but involves a list of checks through which each sample goes during analysis. I mean, it's pointless to perform demanding real-time execution and behavior observation if one of the less demanding systems can already spot something as malware. I'm assuming behavior analysis always come at the very end if all the other checks don't raise an alarm already.

Offline A. User

« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
So from what i've seen in that article it means that IDP will be used in CyberCapture and Avast wants to go default-deny.

Two things that i have requested in the last year were AMSI and ELAM. It seems that Avast now uses AMSI, but not ELAM. Here is one more reason to import the already used ELAM in AVG to Avast: better service self-protection (plus the better anti-rootkit). What is the meaning of Secure Boot when there is no ELAM!? I know that there have been issues in flawed Microsoft Secure boot keys, but these can be patched in coordination with the OEMs and i am sure that Secure Boot is here to stay.